Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
In my mind it seems that the D800's IQ is right in between that of the Canon 5D mark II (my previous system) and 645D.
This was my original statement (or opinion rather), which has been accidentally misquoted.

05-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Personally I don't need the versatility of a 35mm slr. But if I did I would wait for the 36mp Nikon D4xE or whatever they decide to call it. I would want the D800 sensor in a D4 body/system. This topic has been discussed to death though just look through the forum archives here. You will probably find half of them on the front page still...

And every other week I keep considering the D800 as a backup body but always end up saying no...

Last edited by atlnq9; 05-04-2012 at 11:27 AM.
05-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the two cameras are different in many ways. You should look at sizes, lens arsenal/compatibility with your other cameras, that type of things.
Also, isn't there a rumour that Pentax will announce a new version of the 645D? It might be interesting and it will at least affect the price of the current 645D.
05-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #19

In my opinion if the choice between the two isn't painfully obvious one way or the other, you shouldn't buy EITHER. They are very different cameras for very different users.

What is wrong with what you're using now and what do you hope to gain by upgrading? Once you answer those questions, the choice should become easier.

Just because you're moving up the wait list is about the stupidest reason I can think of for making a large purchase decision. Once all the early adopters have finished emptying out the inventory, Nikon will be making plenty more. I personally wouldn't rush to buy something just because it's currently in short supply.

Now If you just want to be the first person on the block to have the latest gizmo, then just buy the D800. The 645D is not the latest gizmo and probably will be updated soon.

If you really want to improve your photography, NEITHER camera will do that by itself.

Here's how I would approach the issue;

FIRST, decide if you want a small-format or medium-format camera.

SECOND, decide which camera model you want.

THIRD, figure out how to get one.

Oh, and if I had to choose between the two it would be an easy decision for the 645D. I'm personally trying to decide between the 645D and Mamiya 645DF. Or maybe buy an adapter for my Bronica 645?

05-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarthImage Quote
To me, I guess, it comes down to whether the "DMF look" that the 645d supposedly has, is enough to justify the extra cash.
If you're looking for the MF look, then I'd consider the 645D of perhaps its replacement(coming-up), however, if you can't justify the advantages then I see no reason to second guess the D800e imo.
05-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #21

not Pen tax 645D, but also a 35mm vs MF (Nikon800E vs. S2) comparison Leica ? Ming Thein | Photographer
05-07-2012, 04:52 AM   #22
Banned

An answer from (me) controversial Ron here...

Consider the following... It really depends on what would be using the camera for. For instance if you use the camera for a lot of distance or action pics - the consider the Nikon. Also consider that generally stating; the Nikon (also shared with any Pentax non-medium format body) are far more versative than most medium format cameras.

Most medium format are built exclusively for the image quality; built around the sensor, and the extraordinary optics. Unfortunately one is unlikely to find much in the way or really good aperatures and focal length ranges; such as a 10x zoom or perhaps much in the way of lens' that have an aperature better than f2.0

More about medium format... Even if the new Pentax were still announced as officially being out next week; I'd still buy the existing one and feel fully confident in the decision. The new Pentax version of their medium format might also be worth waiting for; perhaps minus what the price might be - which is anyone's guess.

But also consider other medium format options. Mayima does make non- unit body medium format bodies at about the price range of the existing Pentax; sure the mp "range" is a bit less at this price point, but the image quality is still significantly better than any other non medium format camera. With other non unit body cameras one also has the option of still keeping the existing body and then possibly upgrading the sensor later. Plus there's the best option for these types of cameras - switching over to film on some of them. It's almost like carrying two cameras in one - a switch over in well less than one minute.

05-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You will get better landscape photos with the 645D, but it's probably only 10-20% better, if you want to quantify it. I really can't say anything objectively at this point as far as that goes.
I have yet to see any objective testing that says the 645D WILL produce better landscape photos. The only objective testing that I have seen comparing these cameras is the DXO scoring, and there, the D800 scores higher than the 645D, even on their Landscape score.
05-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
But also consider other medium format options. Mayima does make non- unit body medium format bodies at about the price range of the existing Pentax; sure the mp "range" is a bit less at this price point, but the image quality is still significantly better than any other non medium format camera. With other non unit body cameras one also has the option of still keeping the existing body and then possibly upgrading the sensor later. Plus there's the best option for these types of cameras - switching over to film on some of them. It's almost like carrying two cameras in one - a switch over in well less than one minute.
Why do you think the bolded bit is true?

In view of An unfair fight? 35mm vs Medium Format: Nikon D800E and the Leica S2-P ? Ming Thein | Photographer I rather suspect the 645D would be equalled - unless the Pentax 645 lenses are better than the Leica S lenses (which seems unlikely).

Against potential allegations of brand bais - I shoot a K-5 and K-7.
05-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Don't forget that the Leica S2 has a cropped sensor versus 645D.
Then for sure, sensor size is not that significantly bigger than the 24x36 one.
Again, image quality depends not only on sensor, but on optics, and as far as high resolution is concerned, the bigger the photosites, the better the image quality : in this respect, but of course this is not excluding exceptions, i back Adam's sentence

Last edited by Zygonyx; 05-08-2012 at 05:53 AM.
05-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Also, no surprise we "soon" will see new MF sensors breaking the 50 or even 80 Mpix "ceillings", and then what will again be the arguments ... guess ...
05-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Don't forget that the Leica S2 has a cropped sensor versus 645D.
Then for sure, sensor size is not that sifnificantly bigger than the 24x36 one.
Again, image quality depends not only on sensor, but on optics, and as far as high resolution is concerned, the bigger the photosites, the better the image quality : in this respect, but of course this is not excluding exceptions, i back Adam's sentence
Ah - thanks for pointing out the difference in S2/645D sensor size. I was under the impression that they were effectively the same size, but in fact the 645D is has 8% more area (30*45 vs. 33*44).

This difference is not huge as compared to the size difference between S2/645D vs. D800 but perhaps it's enough.

I think what would be really amazing is the D800 sensor scaled up
05-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I have yet to see any objective testing that says the 645D WILL produce better landscape photos. The only objective testing that I have seen comparing these cameras is the DXO scoring, and there, the D800 scores higher than the 645D, even on their Landscape score.
The Nikon actually has a few advantages over MF in that regards.

You don't have to stop down as much to get the depth of field.
Tilt shift lenses can improve on this further.

But even given that I won't be switching to a D800 as I like the shooting style of the 645 better...

QuoteOriginally posted by xand Quote
Ah - thanks for pointing out the difference in S2/645D sensor size. I was under the impression that they were effectively the same size, but in fact the 645D is has 8% more area (30*45 vs. 33*44).
It comes down more to which aspect ratio you prefer.
05-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #29
Site Supporter

If I had Leno money, I would go 645D.
05-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I think Nikon d800e (d800) is rather obvious choice. For price of one 645D you can get either two Nikon bodies or one body and a bunch of some top notch Nikon glass. Nikon system would be smaller, lighter and far more versatile. Naturally, above logic does not apply if you're invested in Pentax glass, have emotional feelings towards Pentax, have good reasons to want even more pixels than Nikon offers, shoot only in the studio, etc.