Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #1

645d or Nikon d800e - HELP!

Hello, new to this forum.

I've been considering purchasing the 645d for about 1 year, but sat on the fence because of the potential of the d800e. Now that the Nikon is out, I am more confused than ever. Although the d800e is not quite up to the 645d, it seems close enough (IQ wise) that spending an extra $5000ish for 645d + lens kit is hard to justify. Not that I won't, but the price diff is a lot of coin. My question to this forum: is the price difference worth it? For 645d owners, if the Nikon d800e had been available, would you have made the same decision?

To be honest I have not had the opportunity to use either camera (live in the far north of Canada). Hope to get my hand on these puppies in a month or so. I will have to make a decision sooner than later as my name is moving up the d800e list.

To me, I guess, it comes down to whether the "DMF look" that the 645d supposedly has, is enough to justify the extra cash.

Opinions seriously wanted!!

Cheers, Peter
Whitehorse, Yukon

05-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Peter, you're not the first to ask this question, and it has been discussed at length on other threads in this forum since the D800 was introduced. There are at least two nearly identical threads to yours that ask the same question, and some of us feel it has been discussed to death! I'd look over those threads if you find forum members less than enthusiastic to discuss the same question for a third time.

The deciding factor for many is the type of shooting you will do. Do you often print huge enlargements of your images? Do you love the shallow DOF look of MF? Do you already have a bunch of 645 glass? If you answered yes to most of those questions, then the 645D seems the better choice.

Do you shoot sports/action/wildlife? Do you need a fast camera with a huge arsenal of lens choices? Do you need really high ISO capabilities? Do you already have a bunch of Nikon glass? If you find yourself saying 'yes' to these questions more often then perhaps the Nikon is the better choice.

I purchased the 645D and literally the next day the D800 was announced. Do I regret it? No. In my mind it seems that the D800's IQ is right in between that of the Canon 5D mark II (my previous system) and 645D. The D800 would not have been that significant of an IQ increase IMHO. I shoot landscapes and print large prints. Landscapes don't move very fast and don't require high ISO's. I don't shoot much wildlife or sports, etc and I could afford the 645D, so the choice was easy. Now if the D800 had come out before I purchase my 645D, I may have spent another week or two thinking about it, like you are now!

Hope this helps, look through the older threads in this forum and you may find the answers you're looking for.
05-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Ryan, Thanks for your input. I too am a landscape photographer (and flat art photographer) and don't care about high iso performance. Also, in my style of photography shallow depth of field is not something I look for. I just want IQ. I also shoot 4x5 and 6x7 (and nikon 9000 scanner) and have a 5dII. Too many cameras, too much gear! Over the past 2 years I have used my 5dII more and more, which is awesome for colour photography, so-so for black and white. Eventually (soon) either the 4x5 gear or the Mamiya 7 gear is going to be sold. I'll keep one for doing black and white photography. In term of digital gear, I definitely want a camera that *approaches* a good scan of a 4x5 neg and something that will better utilize the potential of my epson 24" printers.

I've read all the blogs, watched all the videos, but I can't find a simple comparison of the D800e vs. 645d for landscape photography using a tripod! Damn, might have to fly down south, rent some cameras and do it myself!

If the price difference was a couple thousand I wouldn't be thinking about this, I'd just buy the Pentax. But the price difference is significant - very significant. And knowing how fast photography is moving (and how slow Pentax responds) do I want to dump $10k into a 645d body today??? I might depending on how far the d800e is from the 645d, IQ wise. If like you say the d800e is halfway between the 5dII and the d800e, then I suck it up and buy the Nikon. If, however, the d800e is 80%-90% of what the 645d is, then what? Probably go d800e.

I guess it is good to have options.

Thanks, Peter
05-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This summer, we plan on comparing the D800e to the 645D, but that might be too long of a wait for you

You will get better landscape photos with the 645D, but it's probably only 10-20% better, if you want to quantify it. I really can't say anything objectively at this point as far as that goes.

If you do get a 645D, you'll have lenses for when Pentax releases a successor to it, which will likely have some 60 MP. On the other hand, we can't expect the resolution of full-frame sensors increase as quickly as the 645D's will.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you do get a 645D, you'll have lenses for when Pentax releases a successor to it, which will likely have some 60 MP. On the other hand, we can't expect the resolution of full-frame sensors increase as quickly as the 645D's will.
good point! Nikon has released a technical manual for the D800/D800E in which you get detallied explanations which Nikon lens you can use and which you shouldnīt use .

As I have heard the 800/800E is also a "Konjunkturprogramm*" for Carl ZeissīZF.2 lenses

* economic stimulus package
05-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EarthImage Quote
If like you say the d800e is halfway between the 5dII and the d800e, then I suck it up and buy the Nikon. If, however, the d800e is 80%-90% of what the 645d is, then what? Probably go d800e.
Is this a Freudian slip, or is the first mention of Nikon (suck it up and buy the Nikon) meant to say Pentax?
05-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Is this a Freudian slip, or is the first mention of Nikon (suck it up and buy the Nikon) meant to say Pentax?
Yikes! Yes, Freudian (Jungian?) slip! Should have read:

If like you say the d800e is halfway between the 5dII and the d800e, then I suck it up and buy the Pentax 645d.

05-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
This summer, we plan on comparing the D800e to the 645D, but that might be too long of a wait for you
Arg! I hate it when folks ask me to be patient! Hmmm... not like I am lacking in camera gear. Maybe I will wait - what a concept! Look forward to your review.

If Pentax came out with the a 60MP 645dII then I wouldn't blink. Knowing my luck I would lay down $10k for the 645d and then the next day Pentax would release a 60MP 645d replacement for $9k. Now if they had an upgrade program...
05-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would still buy the 645D. I wanted to buy the largest sensor I could afford--I am not particularly impressed by pixel count. Also, I hate 3:2 format. Whatever you buy, it will be a great camera.

You do understand 60MP is only a 22% increase in resolving power and a 50% in file size over a 645D.
05-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You will get better landscape photos with the 645D, but it's probably only 10-20% better, if you want to quantify it.
What do you mean by 20% better?
05-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
What do you mean by 20% better?
See post #3.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
In the great words of Mr Nike......Just do it.... life is too short to pontificate over this and that, if you have the cash, buy the 645D, if not buy the Nikon... then go take some darn pictures with it and dont look back....
05-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarthImage Quote
If, however, the d800e is 80%-90% of what the 645d is, then what?
Thanks, Peter
What do you mean by 80% of the 645D?
05-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Is camera photo versatility a function in your decision (eg action, low light, handheld, etc)?
05-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm still trying to work out how a D800E can be 1/2 way between itself and a 5DII frankly.