Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think he's about 50 years old or so, so I'm not sure how he's two generations away from anyone.
I'm 43. :-)

04-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
KR, in his usual form, is long on opinion and short on facts.
Strange he missed the mark on the review and never came back to fix his mistakes. I guess not so strange really. His site is fairly sloppy in execution.
What were we talking about again?
02-22-2014, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #138
ibl

Gosh, I have only just joined this forum and I find myself on the defensive. I don't know Ken, but I do like his writing style and the information he provides. It is, after all, his opinion. I would not rely solely on the views of one reviewer of anything but he certainly helped lead me to my cameras (including the decision to buy a 645NII), my lenses and my light meter. All of which help me to earn money.

More power to him, say I. Perhaps I had better get my coat...
02-22-2014, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #139
Veteran Member

There is absolutely no shame in enjoying KR's writing. It can be very entertaining. But don't ever take it too seriously, simply because he doesn't either. And don't look for anything authoritative. Just do the sifting yourself and he can even be a decent source of information on occasion.

02-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #140
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Really?
He usually writes great things, and this article is just RIDICULOUS...
And it's not because its a Pentax.
AND he also writes plenty of rubbish, he is renowned for his farcical displays of comedy. He is the supreme reigning internet troll in photographer gear circles. He gives some useful information but you have to take his more opinionated comments with a very small grain of salt.
02-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ibl Quote
Gosh, I have only just joined this forum and I find myself on the defensive. I don't know Ken, but I do like his writing style and the information he provides. It is, after all, his opinion. I would not rely solely on the views of one reviewer of anything but he certainly helped lead me to my cameras (including the decision to buy a 645NII), my lenses and my light meter. All of which help me to earn money.

He often says things that are factually wrong (e.g. 645D), and more often, says things that are misleading.
02-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are welcome here.

Ken Rockwell is a guy who sells ads. Sometimes he has good advice and sometimes not so much. I remember reading a comment from him that he doesn't recommend people use tripods, but that he does, although he's not sure why. I think certain types of photography do not lend themselves to tripods, but they certainly are pretty crucial to getting best photographic results in others.

02-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sometimes he has good advice and sometimes not so much.
He also does not understand why people "fiddle" with RAW files, and (at the time), only needed a D40 and 18-200 VR...to be an awesome photographer. (OK, I added the last bit). I've never bothered with him since.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-22-2014 at 06:04 PM.
02-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
He also does not understand why people "fiddle" with RAW files, and (at the time), only needed a D40 and 18-200 VR...to be an awesome photographer. (OK, I added the last bit). I've never bother with him since.
Remember, the P setting means "Professional".
02-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #145
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
...and more often, says things that are misleading.
...Unless, of course, he says something nice about a piece of gear I own and enjoy!

Steve

---------- Post added 02-22-14 at 03:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
But don't ever take it too seriously, simply because he doesn't either.
...Unless, of course, he is talking about his ever-growing family...too many mouths to feed...

Steve
02-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #146
ibl

Thanks everyone (and for the encouragement to stay from Rondec in particular). If I am looking for facts, I have often gone somewhere like Digital Photography Review (I almost never go to the manufacturer). If I want to know what the gear is like, I would always include KR's site (and he does seem to have experience and/or opinion about a lot of things).

I do remember reading him saying that you don't need more than 10MP and you don't need to shoot RAW, which I suppose is true for a certain audience and might help someone stop worrying about "only" shooting JPEGs. Personally I think everyone should shoot RAW and switch off all those in-camera "enhancements" that muck about with the image data, but I'm never going to sell that concept as well as KR.
02-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #147
Site Supporter

I find him to be quite similar to Ryan Seacrest. He'll give the time if you're paying the dime. He's definitely got lots of opinions. And they're exactly that. Opinions.
02-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #148
Pentaxian

Thanks everyone (and for the encouragement to stay from Rondec in particular). If I am looking for facts, I have often gone somewhere like Digital Photography Review (I almost never go to the manufacturer). If I want to know what the gear is like, I would always include KR's site (and he does seem to have experience and/or opinion about a lot of things).

I do remember reading him saying that you don't need more than 10MP and you don't need to shoot RAW, which I suppose is true for a certain audience and might help someone stop worrying about "only" shooting JPEGs. Personally I think everyone should shoot RAW and switch off all those in-camera "enhancements" that muck about with the image data, but I'm never going to sell that concept as well as KR.
There's a time and a place for shooting jpg, although I always shoot RAW for landscape, there are times when in action and sport photography when due to the buffer filling up, you will miss a shot. In these circumstances it is better to get the shot with the limitations of a jpeg than not to have the shot at all.
02-23-2014, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I personally think his writing is pretty good. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

Although, his information on old Nikon glass is pretty excellent. He does publish figures for correcting distortion, comparisons, and the like. Reading his educational series will both give you a good laugh and teach you some things.

I think everyone's just jealous of him-- I wish I could have a photo gear based website that I made a living from, by testing all kinds of gear and not even taking it seriously. That would be much better than most-everyone-here's dayjob...
02-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I do respect Ken's breadth ad depth of knowledge and experience, I doubt if he ever actually used a 645D
Closed Thread