Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phonoline Quote
Those samples you post are not high class fashion photography. Noone working in the upper class of fashion photography works with the 645D. Noone ever used the 645 for fashion so why use the 645D now? There's no interchangeable back, LS lenses are rare. Pentax will never challenge Phase One, Hasselblad or Sinar with the 645D system - this cam was made for medium format beginners and for professional landscape photographers. That's it. And I don't neccessarily mean it in a negative way.
The 645D and K-5 is used in professionals applications such as; fashion, advertising, celebrity, cinema and so on and so forth.

And here I thought only Ken had the power to know who's shooting what on such matters.

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-06-2012 at 10:46 PM.
05-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #47

Upper class, John Bee... upper class. Some of those pics are nice and well-done, but, again, no high class photographer in fashion and beauty uses the 645D. I am not saying the 645D is an amateur camera, I am not saying it is not good enough. It is a indeed a grand camera. But it was JUST NOT MADE for fashion or advertising as it is not future-proof, it is slow and not flexible enough.
05-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Upper class, John Bee... upper class. Some of those pics are nice and well-done, but...
You sure you don't want to reserve the ultra-upper-class clause now rather than later?
BTW. if you're looking to answer, I'll be in that OTHER thread over there... lol

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-07-2012 at 02:34 AM.
05-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #49

John, misunderstanding there: I meant monster upper class, not ultra.

05-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #50
Site Supporter

@ phonoline : Well, i would not state things like that, without a comprehensive and sufficiently proof-working list ...

In any case, i find relatively unconsistent any "user classification" re. photo equipment : as far as i know professionnals such as you mean are both artists and businessmen, and as far as artists are concerned, you should "never say never" re. 645D uses. And as far as business is concerned, the low cost of Pentax 645 system is a pretty attractive element to take into account.

@ John Bee : many thanks for these outstanding works

BTW : i hesitated to post here, as i find discredit sufficiently obvious re. K.Rockwell's article, not to make him further advertisement.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 05-07-2012 at 06:20 AM.
05-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #51

In the end (here it comes...) we are all like Ken Rockwell. Kind of. All we do is post our subjective views on things, esp. on Pentax equipment, in our free time. We are all idots. Haha
05-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well when the lens can control aperture, you only need a dial for shutterspeed. The camera only needs base-iso. Press the releasebutton and you have a picture. That is basicly all you need for a good picture.
05-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #53
Pentaxian

In the end (here it comes...) we are all like Ken Rockwell. Kind of. All we do is post our subjective views on things, esp. on Pentax equipment, in our free time. We are all idots. Haha
Imagining for a moment that I was pushing you on a bike...

Now... look behind you!
That's me waving good-bye! :ugh: (LOL)

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-07-2012 at 06:55 AM.
05-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Imagining for a moment that I was pushing you on a bike...

Now... look behind you!
That's me waving good-bye! :ugh: (LOL)
I would like to help him unload his 67 100 f4 macro, so when he goes off in his bike, it will be lighter.

marcus
05-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
I would like to help him unload his 67 100 f4 macro, so when he goes off in his bike, it will be lighter.

marcus
HAHA!
If I wasn't so lazy I would have photoshoped a 645D in the basket
05-07-2012, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
But it was JUST NOT MADE for fashion or advertising as it is not future-proof
Just to play devil's advocate here, it may not be "future proof" by having a changeable back, but what's the point when you can buy a whole new 645D at a fraction of or far less than the cost of a Phase or Leaf back...
05-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
Just to play devil's advocate here, it may not be "future proof" by having a changeable back, but what's the point when you can buy a whole new 645D at a fraction of or far less than the cost of a Phase or Leaf back...
And with the low relative cost of the body in comparison to the backs you might as well get a new body each time you get a new back... Having changable backs means there is no motivation to improve the body. Each time Pentax has introduced the 645 camera they have improved the body, so it is a win win. My guess is they will continue doing that with each rendition of the 645D...

Last edited by atlnq9; 05-07-2012 at 11:35 AM.
05-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #58
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just overall comment about Ken Rockwell. I really thought that he was the most amazing person when I first decided to get into photography. The fact that he takes very firm points of view on basically every subject makes him seem like an authority on them all. That is, until you do a little research and find out the reality. It's a little unfortunate, because he is most appealing to people who aren't able to sort out between when he is blowing hot air and when he really has a point to make.

It is really unfortunate that he needs to have so little basis for his opinions. Most reviewers will actually spend time with a product before forming an opinion.
05-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I would glady be a fanboy for life of Ken Rockwell if he gave me a 645D. Hell, I would even do some actual tests with it and give him an accurate account of it's performance
05-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Just overall comment about Ken Rockwell. I really thought that he was the most amazing person when I first decided to get into photography. The fact that he takes very firm points of view on basically every subject makes him seem like an authority on them all. That is, until you do a little research and find out the reality. It's a little unfortunate, because he is most appealing to people who aren't able to sort out between when he is blowing hot air and when he really has a point to make.

It is really unfortunate that he needs to have so little basis for his opinions. Most reviewers will actually spend time with a product before forming an opinion.
I think that's the learning curve when it comes to Ken Rockwell. When you're first starting off as a newbie, he is the rockstar photographer blogger. But as you learn more about photography and become more proficient, you realize he's just an over-opinionated schmuck attempting to market and funnel ad dollars to himself. Of the latter, he does a pretty damn good job and I'm envious. Much more so than of his actual Photography.
Closed Thread