Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with the points made about the quality of analysis and comment (and the related points about how it constitutes a deliberate business model into which we are playing with this thread) but am I alone in thinking that perhaps it was not ideal to post a thread in which a named individual is called an idiot?

05-08-2012, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #62

Right on, Ed. It does say a lot about people, though, when they publicly denounce others
05-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Some people have the approach of don't ever hurt anybodies feelings; lets all keep everybody happy and let the idiots eventually shoot themselves with their shortcomings because everybody kept calling them great.

Others just say it how they see it, no lies, no talking behind their back...

I personally hate people that never express crtisism. So in that regards Ken gets a couple points. He just does it wrong. If he was a real serious reviewer Nikon, Canon, Sony, Mamiya, etc. would ask him to test cameras. Rather than writting reviews of the camera from a picture of the camera, not even from pictures taken by the camera system.

If you can honestly tell me that you have never said somebody is stupid before in public (by definition a group of people) then I will listen to what you have to say. Otherwise I don't know that you have much grounds to stand on. BTW, I think every politician has been called an idiot, they even call each other idiots... Would you rather the word be nincompoop?
05-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Others just say it how they see it, no lies, no talking behind their back
I think it's important that people are educated as to who is a reliable soure of info and who is not. When someone puts themselves into the public eye and does so by intentially trying to create controversy by writing inaccurate reviews, I not only think it's okay to call them out on it, but the right thing to do. In this case, I think the term "idiot" isn't all that off base.

It would be different if the person was not trying to draw attention to themselves and just minding their own business...or if they had some integrity.

05-08-2012, 03:37 PM - 2 Likes   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting that in order to respond to my point, you feel a need to set up a false dichotomy between 'telling the truth, hurting people's feelings, etc.' on the one hand and 'let's keep everybody happy, telling lies, talking behind people's backs' on the other. I am not actually advocating either of these things, because there are other options. It is possible to counter the points made by Mr. Rockwell, and indeed his whole approach, even to describe his actions as idiotic, without name calling. I am certainly not suggesting that we should 'never express criticism' - far from it (as my message demonstrates in fact, I am quite prepared to express criticism). Indeed the criticisms (the substance of which, by the way, I largely agree with) would arguably have more force if they were made cogently and without being abusive. I too think it is important to educate and inform about who is a reliable source. But surely that point is made much more effectively with information and reason.

Ed (who owns and 645D and thinks the points made in Mr. Rockwell's review are absurd).
05-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By the way, I have no wish to come over as sanctimonious here - I understand the frustration with the nonsense being spouted and the perception that he somehow 'gets away with it' or does it for cynical reasons while others seemingly lap it up.
05-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #67
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phonoline Quote
In the end (here it comes...) we are all like Ken Rockwell. Kind of. All we do is post our subjective views on things, esp. on Pentax equipment, in our free time. We are all idots. Haha
Be sure to make a donation to my paypal account . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
By the way, I have no wish to come over as sanctimonious here - I understand the frustration with the nonsense being spouted and the perception that he somehow 'gets away with it' or does it for cynical reasons while others seemingly lap it up.
it is a source of income for him. The irony is that on the page he slams on the 645D, he asks for a donation. The argument could be made that he is a professional slammer.

sarcasm

05-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #68
Veteran Member

The world is full of scam artists. He may be ridiculous AFA some of his opinions are concerned, but he knows how to generate profit, and you just helped him out.
05-09-2012, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #69

Who cares anyway? So what if he makes profit? Are you obliged to pay? No. Do you have to read the site? No.
On here you will find enough people like Ken Rockwell who unsolicitedly offer their very subjective/personal views on cameras, scanners etcpp and you get pissed off because someone out there insults your beloved 645D?! Give me a break. There are hundreds of reviews on the 645D over the internet and not all of them are great. Get real.

Alex who owns a 645D and who doesn't give a shit about Rockwell's review

Last edited by phonoline; 05-09-2012 at 04:17 AM.
05-09-2012, 04:28 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crisply put - I quite agree!
05-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The world is full of scam artists. He may be ridiculous AFA some of his opinions are concerned, but he knows how to generate profit, and you just helped him out.
Only if someone donates to his "PayPal" account. If people read this thread, do you really think it helps his case regarding donations?
05-09-2012, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Only if someone donates to his "PayPal" account. If people read this thread, do you really think it helps his case regarding donations?
There is no doubt. Pentax Forums is a huge, active site with a high page rank, and conversations like this provide significant Google juice to KR, thereby leading to traffic. Is someone reading this conversation going to go directly to his site and donate? Probably not. But simply by virtue of having the conversation, we positively affect his site's appearance in search queries, and the donations (and more importantly, I'm guessing, clicks on affiliate links) increase in direct proportion to traffic. I'm quite sure that KR smiles deviously every time he sees a thread like this. This is a solid case of "any publicity is good publicity."
05-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #73
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
There is no doubt. Pentax Forums is a huge, active site with a high page rank, and conversations like this provide significant Google juice to KR, thereby leading to traffic. Is someone reading this conversation going to go directly to his site and donate? Probably not. But simply by virtue of having the conversation, we positively affect his site's appearance in search queries, and the donations (and more importantly, I'm guessing, clicks on affiliate links) increase in direct proportion to traffic. I'm quite sure that KR smiles deviously every time he sees a thread like this. This is a solid case of "any publicity is good publicity."
The OP should go back and edit his post and use the Hide feature so that only those logged into this site can see the link.
05-09-2012, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

At this point I kinda feel sorry for Ken. I'm an idiot too from time to time, but it's obvious enough from my posts, I don't need someone else pointing it out to 30,000 readers. Although, if I had a site with those google ads that pay you 5 cents every time someone clicks on an ad, I might post a "Norm Head is an idiot" thread myself, or even a "Norm Head is a genius", or any topic that might convince folks to click on my site. After all, 5 cents is 5 cents.
05-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
At this point I kinda feel sorry for Ken. I'm an idiot too from time to time, but it's obvious enough from my posts, I don't need someone else pointing it out to 30,000 readers. Although, if I had a site with those google ads that pay you 5 cents every time someone clicks on an ad, I might post a "Norm Head is an idiot" thread myself, or even a "Norm Head is a genius", or any topic that might convince folks to click on my site. After all, 5 cents is 5 cents.
Spoken like a true idiot.

Haha, J/K man, I LOL'd at your post.
Closed Thread