Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken R Quote
Guys, you can't take Ken Rockwell's writing's on his website too seriously. He has been around for many years and handled/used many many camera equipment throughout those years. But his views are in no way shape or form objective or based on any testing remotely approaching science. So it's best just to read and be humored. At best one can extract some good info sometimes if you read between the lines.
And he thinks very highly of the Pentax 645n and its lenses. That compensates for a certain amount of total B******T.

04-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
And he thinks very highly of the Pentax 645n and its lenses. That compensates for a certain amount of total B******T.
Have you read his review of the 645D?
http://www.kenrockwell.com/pentax/645d/

QuoteOriginally posted by kenrockwell:
The bad news is that it's designed to appeal to hobbyists, meaning garbage features like 77-segment metering, wimpy, slow SD card media, stupid picture modes, live view, electronic level, 11-point AF — and gag me — multiple exposures and in-camera HDR, which have replaced the intelligent usability of simpler cameras designed for pros who know what they're doing.
Do you know how many AF sensors the $43,000 Hasselblad CF-39 has? One.
Do you know how many metering zones it has? One at a time, and it also has fewer pixels (39MP vs. 40).
Pros must know something Pentax doesn't.
04-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Have you read his review of the 645D?
Pentax 645D
Please note that I said "a certain amount...." Brother Ken has jumped the rails on the 645D review. The folk at Luminous Landscape like it quite well, thank you very much, Ken!
04-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Heads up: this is very, very true (my emphasis):

"The bad news is that it's designed to appeal to hobbyists, meaning garbage features like 77-segment metering, wimpy, slow SD card media, stupid picture modes, live view, electronic level, 11-point AF — and gag me — multiple exposures and in-camera HDR, which have replaced the intelligent usability of simpler cameras designed for pros who know what they're doing."

Jesus! Why you'd spend that much money on a digital camera is beyond me.
You do not need a bloody $10,000 camera to know photography. In fact it will hinder it.

04-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Heads up: this is very, very true (my emphasis):

"The bad news is that it's designed to appeal to hobbyists, meaning garbage features like 77-segment metering, wimpy, slow SD card media, stupid picture modes, live view, electronic level, 11-point AF — and gag me — multiple exposures and in-camera HDR, which have replaced the intelligent usability of simpler cameras designed for pros who know what they're doing."

What's stopping him from turning a knob to M and using two dials (or a dial and the aperture ring)?

QuoteQuote:
Jesus! Why you'd spend that much money on a digital camera is beyond me.
It's obviously not beyond some other people. It's expensive for a reason.

QuoteQuote:
You do not need a bloody $10,000 camera to know photography.
True.

QuoteQuote:
In fact it will hinder it.
Nope.
04-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #126
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Ken Rockwell is Wrong
I don't think this statement will be new news for most folk.
04-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Ken Rockwell is Wrong
And you're surprised by that?

There was some other model of Pentax DSLR he "reviewed" in which he basically said he never used it, never touched it, never seen it, and didn't really know anything about it, but it was a piece of crap. It was then that I knew I could ignore anything he had to say.

Ken & that little Kai twerp should marry each other. They'd be perfect together.

04-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
And you're surprised by that?

There was some other model of Pentax DSLR he "reviewed" in which he basically said he never used it, never touched it, never seen it, and didn't really know anything about it, but it was a piece of crap. It was then that I knew I could ignore anything he had to say.

Ken & that little Kai twerp should marry each other. They'd be perfect together.
The 645D. He was mad that it had two dials but that the user could change what the dials did.
04-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #129

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
]Ken & that little Kai twerp should marry each other. They'd be perfect together.
Who is the little Kai twerp? Thanks

asahijock
04-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #130

He's talking about Kai from Digital Rev. I think it's the best show on Youtube but people have different tastes or, probably more importantly, different senses of humour.
04-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adelorenzo Quote
He's talking about Kai from Digital Rev. I think it's the best show on Youtube but people have different tastes or, probably more importantly, different senses of humour.
I quite like DigitalRev as well. Their social network is excellent.
04-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #132

Thanks for answers. I had a look at a couple of his UTube videos which from a content point of view seemed reasonable. Yes he is probably typical of his generation and his way of presentation and mannerisms are at least two generations apart from mine but overall I didn't find him objectionable.

Still, to each his own

asahijock
04-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asahijock Quote
Thanks for answers. I had a look at a couple of his UTube videos which from a content point of view seemed reasonable. Yes he is probably typical of his generation and his way of presentation and mannerisms are at least two generations apart from mine but overall I didn't find him objectionable.

Still, to each his own

asahijock

I think he's about 50 years old or so, so I'm not sure how he's two generations away from anyone.
04-06-2013, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think he's about 50 years old or so, so I'm not sure how he's two generations away from anyone.
I believe he was referring to Kai not Kenny from the Rock.
04-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #135

Yes, my thanks was in reference to the person who answered my question as to who the Kai person was and my comments referred to said person not Ken Rockwell. If the Kai person is 50 years old then I conclude the same as Gen Jack D Ripper in the film Dr. Strangelove" when he said "The Commies are poisoning the water"

asahijock
Closed Thread