Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Hasselblad needs to find a way to make their digital backs for their film cameras way more affordable. They should be economical and a gateway drug to their H4D system. Instead, they make it a either-or decision with their high price. And I suspect it stays high priced because they don't sell in any significant volume at that price.

Or maybe the strategy is, look, you can spend about the same and get a full-featured digital camera instead of a feature-lacking digital back for that old thing you got.
I understand that a back for the Rollei 600x camera proved not to be viable. While there are a lot more Blads out there, it is questionable how many of their owners would fork out for a back. I cannot imagine this as an economic route, although I like the idea myself.

05-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe they want to clear stock to introduce the next generation model...
05-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Also D800 wont hurt the 645D market, 645D 3 times the price and if someone is consider buying one because they want a MF camera they won't consider D800 as a replacement.
If you want a Porsche, you won't buy a Land rover because it's cheaper right?
Sorry but I'm afraid you're dead wrong on this. As good as the 645D is, it is still hampered by the lack of lenses, particularly on the wide end. The D800 can certainly deliver the megapixels needed for high quality and large print enlargements but at a much lower price point. I've tried the D800 and D800E and for most applications one could easily use the D800 to replace the 645D or Hasselblad and nobody would notice the difference. Sure the digital MF cameras still hold a slight edge in image quality but the savings in terms of equipment cost is very significant plus the Nikon has much better noise control at high ISOs and a wider range of lenses to choose from.

Hasselblads can fetch such high prices because there wasn't much competition to begin with and many commercial users still use their gear. The 645D definitely lowered the price point for digital MF but the D800 bridges the price gap even more.
05-22-2012, 03:14 AM   #19
Site Supporter

And when 645DII comes with it's 60 Mpix sensor...

The good news about D800 is indeed that the (or some) MF seller will hammer their margins, for a moment at least...

05-22-2012, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #20
CDW
Veteran Member

I think Pentax released the 645D believing that legacy Pentax 645 lenses available in the new and used market place would satisfy the needs of many users. This was certainly a correct assumption in terms of my personal situation. As a landscape shooter, I've been able to successfully work around the limitations of the 645 35mm with the cropped sensor of the 645D. While the 800e is interesting many of it's features and capabilities are simply superfluous to me as a landscape shooter. I prefer the simplicity and ultimately, the superior imagery of the 645D. And as a field camera the 800/800e is not up to the build quality or weatherproofing of the 645D and weighs almost as much as a 645D. For me, nothing gained.