Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I took a few shots at EXPOsure today with a 645D. Very nice camera, remember how heavy your film 645 was, it's not like that, and it's nicely balanced. I was suitably impressed.
Actually it is heavier than the Pentax film 645's

05-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Actually it is heavier than the Pentax film 645's
Ya that's what the sales guy said, but because of the balance, it doesn't feel heavier.
05-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Well, all the examples I have seen, corner sharpness is great in the D800. You will easily print D800 files over 20x30. With the Nikon tilt/shift lenses, this will make a better choice for a Architectural photographer. As for landscape, it just comes down to subtle things like format and the sensor size difference.

There are reasons for choosing one camera over the other, but not for the reasons you have given.

I think we all wish we all are very sure of what we say, do or write despite our experience, words like " great " " Excellent " and so are mostly miss used nowadays specially when we have a very wide spectrum of mixed level audience, and specially when we express our " opinion " as a solid fact.
05-25-2012, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #49

Well, all the examples I have seen, corner sharpness is great in the D800. You will easily print D800 files over 20x30. With the Nikon tilt/shift lenses, this will make a better choice for a Architectural photographer. As for landscape, it just comes down to subtle things like format and the sensor size difference.

There are reasons for choosing one camera over the other, but not for the reasons you have given.
I can tell you from 1st hand personal experience with shooting and testing various lenses on the D800, that not all is rosy with the D800 and edge/corner sharpness. It's very much lens dependent, especially with the exact same lens samples thats performed well in this regard on a D3s and D700. Secondly the current Nikon 24 PC-E lens when unshifted is especially sharp across the frame but quite a few samples suffer considerably away from the center of the frame when shifted...especially the more one shifts. All sorts of techniques can be used like focusing and then shifting, or focusing, shifting and refocusing (on various parts of the frame). The D800 is a most amazing and well performing camera but certain issues like edge sharpness do exist (like with the fabulous 14-24), which didn't exist on previous Nikon full frame bodies. Same thing can be said for the 645D and certain samples of lenses (even certain lenses period). Strenghs and weakness can be identified. Each camera in general also have their specific uses and strengths in certain areas...with of course overlap in a number of different applications.

Dave (D&A)

05-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #50

No, you have an extreme/exaggerated position that is really not true.
"not really true" - well thought-thru point you make here.
05-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #51
Forum Member

TS lens

The Hartblei which is have is an Arsat based 45mm lens also called a Mir. It also has quite a bit of sharpness fall-off at the edges even without shifting., If I recall correctly, it will drop down to 15 lp/mm at the edges. I don't have the Nikon 24 TS to test it against but it seems from general reports to be the sharper option of the two TS lens. And also the 45mm lens use is limited a little bit more when used on the slightly cropped sensor of the 645D while the 24mm stays a 24mm on the Nikon.

And along with the lens I can also divest myself of a Coolscan 8000ED scanner.
05-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

i was tempted to hold out for a used "Hasse h 3d or h2d for around $9000.00,but the cost of 3 or 4 extra lenses turned me off.they would have encreased the cost by 150%.i don't make money off my camera.i get the feeling that most of you who take the time to post here are pros.i am not,i just wanted one real good camera before i cashed in my chips.i might spring for the 45-85 mm fa before i lock up my wallet.i only use my 645d as a field camera,with a tri or monopod i use my sony alpha for indoor shooting.when i use my 75mm and 45mm out of doors i hand hold alot. i hope you are up to the full potential of your cameras because i am nowhere close.

06-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phonoline Quote
What I think is really impressive is the extremely high image quality of the 645D. It depends on the lenses but most of the ones I use or used were extremely sharp, too, even the 67 glasses. So, if you are after high image quality and extreme detail, this one's for you. If you want to be a little more flexible inside a studio, if you need to be quicker in your photography and 40MP resolution is not neccessarily what you need but can live with something like between 12 to 24: get a different system. The 645D wasn't made for any kind of situation, to me it is an "outside" camera. You CAN use it "inside", e.g. in the studio, but you won't get warm with it being so very very slow.

So, that's why I sell it and get a D800 I don't do landscape so I can live with less detail. I get detail from my 67II and GX680III if I need to.
Well we've gone to hell in a handbasket.in the movies they shoot a guy 20 times and in the studio they run off 300 shots hoping to get a few good ones.i looked at the 645d as an inside camera that you could use outside with some muscle.
06-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #54

what is it you are saying, bulldrinkwater? I can't follow.
06-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

in a portrait studio the 645d should be right at home.in the fasion studios i see them running off shots in burst and pick out the best.it's like the shotgun aproach.like they do in action movies.the 645d is a slower shooter and kind of heavy for shooting on the move , unless you have arms like popeye. their are those who have said that the 645d was too heavy for field use.i'm just going from what i read in other post here.just my opinion,in the in meantime i'm having a "field" day with mine with a tripod and monopod.since i don't do inside shooting with mine. i guess in the end i half agree with you. oh well.
06-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bull drinkwater Quote
in a portrait studio the 645d should be right at home.in the fasion studios i see them running off shots in burst and pick out the best.it's like the shotgun aproach.like they do in action movies.the 645d is a slower shooter and kind of heavy for shooting on the move , unless you have arms like popeye. their are those who have said that the 645d was too heavy for field use.i'm just going from what i read in other post here.just my opinion,in the in meantime i'm having a "field" day with mine with a tripod and monopod.since i don't do inside shooting with mine. i guess in the end i half agree with you. oh well.
i don't find my 645d too heavy to hold at all. In fact with the FA 33 - 55 attached, it's a little lighter than my 5D mk III with the 24 - 70 L attachced. It's also my favourite camera to hold. (Still waiting for it to return from japan though)