Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #1

Domke bag for P67 + 3 lenses

Hi folks. I am looking for a camera bag to work out of that will accomodate my Pentax 67, with say the 105mm lens mounted and two additional lenses, say the 75mm f/4.5 and the 200mm f/4. In addition the bag should have room for about 10 rolls of 120 film, a Pentax digital spot meter, a waist level view finder and the usual misc. stuff, 2 filters, lens cleaner, micro fiber cloth, cable release etc... I live in rural Maine, so I am buying online without the benefit of taking my gear into a store and seeing how it fits.

I currently have a Domke f-803. This is a fairly small bag which accomodates my K5 and 3 to 4 primes very nicely. I like the understated "classic" style of Domke's bags especially the wax ware bags. So, I'd ideally like to stick with Domke. Actually I have used the f-803 once with my P67 for travel, with the 67 using the body cap and the 90mm f/2.8 and the 45mm f/4 stored unmounted. But I feel I need something that is more ideal to work out of.

I like the look and layout of the F-3x alot. It would be ideal to have the camera facing forward in the bag with say the 105mm mounted and one lens stored on either side of the 105. Then the front and side pockets could accomdate the rest of the gear. Unfortunately, from its dimentions,I don't think is big enough. Looks like I would do the trick for the K5 and it's lenses but the diameter of the 67 lenses is too big, seems like I would need about 11 or more inches of width for this configuration. On paper and in photos, It looks like the F2 might be a good size, although I am not quite sure how i would configure the interior of the bag. The insert that comes with the bag makes the space good for a smaller digital camera and lenses, not sure how it would translate to the P67 and lenses.

What do you all use, how much gear does it hold and how happy are you with it? Thanks in advance for your replys!

Doug

06-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Just my two cents...

I currently have the Tamrac Velocity 8X and it is almost able to hold my P6X7 and two lenses with a interior of W9.5 x H5.5 x DL11.0" ... lens pointed down.

If I had the 9X the W11 x H6 1/2 x D/L13" that would be a tight one width wise for the two lenses and body with a 105.

My choice was the height of 5.5" was just almost enough to put my body equipped with the TTL meter.
If I pack my 75mm on one side and the 45 on the other, is the max space I can squeeze three lenses... so...

If you could have gotten the 9X, it would have been optimal. I got the 8X used/like new and a super low price

Your Domke F-803 is listed with a 4" height?

I would figure you need around 5 inches even with a folding waist level.
Most bags that are of the messenger style that I looked at were around 4" and that is why I went with the likes of the Velocity sling style... not to say you should, but that the need to accommodate the height of the camera was important and I could not find a messenger style that worked for me.

Oh, I also forgot... My Spotmeter V is a tight fit and the max of 6 rolls will all fit in the 8X, but I would not try it for project that are all day.

Update: just adding images

Loaded up with meter up front...

My 200 will fit, but it is harder for the right hand grip not to push against it all the time.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 06-08-2012 at 05:46 AM.
06-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have my Pentax 6x7 with lens and two spare in a good size Promaster bag that apparently Promaster doesn't make anymore. It's a rectangular shoulder bag and works great for me. It has a front pocket as well. I found one on ebay just like it. Check it out.

ProMaster Large Camera Shoulder Bag Color Black Excellent Condition | eBay

As shown in the picture on the ebay post, I removed 3/4's of the internal baffels and that's where the 6x7 goes on it's back (with the wooden handle), and the lens go to one side. That's a good price too by the way, IMHO.

Best of luck.
06-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments and photos, MysteryOnion! Nice bag I may end up going that route. I have heard the Think Tank bags are good and the orientation is similar. I appreciate you taking the time to post. The F-803 is 9 inches tall but only 3 or 4 inches deep so you can't have a lens mounted on the 67 when its in the bag. Nice bag but really not suitable for the 67.

I appreciate your comments Blackcloudbrew. I will keep this in mind. I don't have the wooden handle so that should help me stay on the (slightly) smaller side.

06-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #5

I have a Loewpro Fastpack 200 & 350 - Both can easily pack the 67 (even with Wooden Handel) + 3 Lens up to 200mm. Further ther is plenty of additional room in these backpacks.
The 350 is slightly bigger and can accomodate a Laptop additionaly.