Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We will be keen to know what kind of "litle things" do annoy you, are they different from the D-FA version ?

06-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #17

Where did you buy it? I just stayed in line with B&H, but perhaps Amazon, Pentax, or Samy's are better?
06-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
For ND graduated filter holder

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
For graduated ND filters a filter holder is absolutely necessary, which is necessary for many landscape scenes that include the sky. Of course, you can exposure bracket, but if you're also focus bracketing that is one more thing to potentially go wrong...
I'm not sure what other people have done for fitting ND grad filters, and presumably the Lee push on holder (made specifically for the Nikon 14-24 lens) doesn't work?
It might be worth trying this company http://www.skgrimes.com/home who are well known for designing and making specific parts for large format cameras.

Can I ask with the focus bracketing, is this something you do always, or is the 25mm lens quite hard to focus? I don't have this lens, but is it similar to the A 35mm lenses where you can pretty well focus at infinity and everything from 15 feet outwards should be sharp?
06-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Lacunapratum Quote
Where did you buy it? I just stayed in line with B&H, but perhaps Amazon, Pentax, or Samy's are better?
I bought it at headshots in Toronto.

06-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
We will be keen to know what kind of "litle things" do annoy you, are they different from the D-FA version ?
For one, the auto focus is rather slow, or feels slow compared to other lenses I have used. Also, because the lens has quite a deep depth of field it's really tough to focus manually as pretty much everything appears in focus in the viewfinder.
07-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #21

I started to put some of my first impressions of the lens on my blog: Pentax 25mm review
07-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks larkis. Nice report.

Loved the wall shot. Very colorful. Have you tried correcting the CA's with any software? How does that work out? I've neevr tried it, but heard it can be done.
07-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #23

I will be posting more on CA today or tomorrow. There are some special cases with it and I have some samples of the extremes. Usually it's not an issue but I have a few images that have pretty extreme CA that can be corrected in post to some degree.

07-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you larkis for theses usefull considerations.
Re. exifs informations, the D-FA version seems to be completely identified with my tools : ACDSee, Silkypix, flickr.
So i guess it is a matter of lens FW.
07-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
I bought it at headshots in Toronto.
I didn't realise they had the 645D there now (it's just around the corner but I hardly ever go in) Are they renting for it as well?
07-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
I started to put some of my first impressions of the lens on my blog: Pentax 25mm review
I can answer one question for you--there must be a filter in the lens at all times, which is why they give you a blank filter. Since the filter is inside the lens, the thickness of the glass is part of the optical formula. If you remove the filter, it will shift focus.
07-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
I can answer one question for you--there must be a filter in the lens at all times, which is why they give you a blank filter. Since the filter is inside the lens, the thickness of the glass is part of the optical formula. If you remove the filter, it will shift focus.
Thanks for the info, I was wondering this as well. I assumed it would be better to leave one in vs. not, as it only came with one filter case.
07-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Interesting explanation
07-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #29

The general requirement of keeping a filter at "in" all times inside a pull out filter draw has been a long standing practice of most lens manufacturers as it"s part of the computated optical path. It's usually stated in the paperwork shipped with a lens, but not always.

Larks, enjoyed reading your blog and your initial Impressions of the 25mm. This lens possibly exhibiting field curvature doesn't surprise me. The Pentax FA 35mm f3.5 645 lens also exhibits a fair amount depending on focusing distance. Generally it's a consequence of extracting additional resolution and this phenomenon is often seen in wide angle lenses where higher resolution is given priority over distortion and field curvature. Often a compromise of both is reached. Looking forward to more of your observations. Thanks! !

Dave (D&A)

Last edited by DandA; 07-06-2012 at 02:05 PM.
07-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #30

I added 3 more sample images to the post