Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

35A vs 35FA

Don't see much about the FA 35. Is the lens IQ the same as the 35A? Just autofocus is the only difference? Or is their something else with the FA?

06-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the whole lens is built differently. I know that the FA 35 is very sharp bit I didn't get that impression with the A- but it could have been the lack of a split screen at work
06-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the 35 A and love it...Never needed AF on this lens as it's easy to focus and often set at or close to infinity. Of course, I shoot landscapes, so never need to focus very quickly.

The A's minimum aperture is f/22, and I think the FA is f/32...to be sure look it up in the lens database. They are not the same lens build, but from what I've read both are good. I've heard the A is a bit sharper and has a bit more DOF, but have no evidence to back this up...just what I've read on this forum.

Also, the front filter size may be different. The A is 77mm, same as the 45-85FA and 80-160FA...handy for my kit overall.
06-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
I've heard the A is a bit sharper and has a bit more DOF, but have no evidence to back this up...just what I've read on this forum.

Also, the front filter size may be different. The A is 77mm, same as the 45-85FA and 80-160FA...handy for my kit overall.
Are you sure you read the A is sharper on this forum? In the lens database, the A 35mm f/2 is rated at 7 for sharpness, the FA 35 is 9.6. Also the filter sizes are the same, 49mm. I can't for the life of me figure out how DOF would be different, since DOF is determined by focal length, aperture and subject distance. You are talking about the Pentax SMC FA 35mm f/2 vs the Pentax SMC A 35mm f/2, correct?

06-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Are you sure you read the A is sharper on this forum? In the lens database, the A 35mm f/2 is rated at 7 for sharpness, the FA 35 is 9.6. Also the filter sizes are the same, 49mm. I can't for the life of me figure out how DOF would be different, since DOF is determined by focal length, aperture and subject distance. You are talking about the Pentax SMC FA 35mm f/2 vs the Pentax SMC A 35mm f/2, correct?
No, I am talking about the Pentax 645 35mm A and FA. They are both f/3.5 medium format lenses.

This is the Pentax Medium Format forum, perhaps you're looking in the wrong forum?
06-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
35A

I got one copy of the FA and A . The FA needs 82mm filters , which i have none of , and the A needs 77mm filters , which i have many of. The FA i tested also was more likely to catch flares that the A would supress. And the FA was actually slightly less wide, not good for interiors.

Need less to say i kept only the A.
06-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
No, I am talking about the Pentax 645 35mm A and FA. They are both f/3.5 medium format lenses.

This is the Pentax Medium Format forum, perhaps you're looking in the wrong forum?
LOL! Sorry, yes, I am lost. If you ever see me around here again, try to stop me before I make a fool of myself.

06-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Forum Member

There are two of the FA lenses for sale at Ffordes Photographic (UK). 645 Lenses Pentax Range - Ffordes Photographic
06-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Don't see much about the FA 35. Is the lens IQ the same as the 35A? Just autofocus is the only difference? Or is their something else with the FA?
It depends on whether you use the 645(n) or the 645D, and perhaps also by sample variation.
The FA has a different optical formula. Allegedly, on the 645D it means more field curvature and less sharpness in the corners, although slightly more in the centre if that's possible at all (on hearsay, I do not have a 645D). The A version does very well on the 645D.

On film, the A version still does extremely well, but reportedly the FA has the edge here. I am very satisfied with my A-lens on my 645Ns and in no hurry to buy the FA version. I also do not need autofocus with a wide angle.

The FA also has a bayonet hood which is much better than the rubber useless thing that comes, sometimes, with the A.
06-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Another A 35mm lens user with a 645D. Never tried the FA version.
06-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #11

I tested many copies of the 35mm FA and a couple of the A and wrote about my experiences and testing observations of both in my comprehensive lens testing post on another forum. I'm on my phone at the moment so I don't have the link to post but I did post it here in the Pentax forums a while ago, Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
06-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DandA Quote
...I'm on my phone at the moment...
Dave, glad you are not addicted to the internet...
06-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Dave, glad you are not addicted to the internet...
LOL...I"m actually not, far from it and considerably less than the average Internet user. Unfortunately where some can simply turn on their computer, I due to a variety of circumstances have to rely on my cell phone for connectivity much of the time. Hey I see you do pretty good in the sheer number of postings here on the Pentax forums.

Dave (D&A)
06-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DandA Quote
LOL...I"m actually not, far from it and considerably less than the average Internet user. Unfortunately where some can simply turn on their computer, I due to a variety of circumstances have to rely on my cell phone for connectivity much of the time. Hey I see you do pretty good in the sheer number of postings here on the Pentax forums.

Dave (D&A)
Hey, I am not addicted. I can quit anytime I want to. I just don't want to.