Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Next gen 645D?

Anyone have a clue as to what Pentax has in the works for a 2nd gen 645D?

My only concern with the current 645D is this. If Pentax came out with a 2nd gen 645D that ran on 4 AA batteries I'd be bummed if I bought the 645D.

06-14-2012, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Anyone have a clue as to what Pentax has in the works for a 2nd gen 645D?

My only concern with the current 645D is this. If Pentax came out with a 2nd gen 645D that ran on 4 AA batteries I'd be bummed if I bought the 645D.
Who cares what batteries the camera runs on, that should be just about the last deciding factor! Are you seriously considering buying a $10,000 USD camera based on whether or not it takes AA vs. the existing $40 battery?!?!

Image Quality, sensor size and type, live view or not, ISO performance, available lenses are all about a thousand times more important than the batteries that it runs on. Just so they work and last a reasonable amount of time, which the current battery does.
06-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
Who cares what batteries the camera runs on, that should be just about the last deciding factor! Are you seriously considering buying a $10,000 USD camera based on whether or not it takes AA vs. the existing $40 battery?!?!

Image Quality, sensor size and type, live view or not, ISO performance, available lenses are all about a thousand times more important than the batteries that it runs on. Just so they work and last a reasonable amount of time, which the current battery does.
Amen!
06-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If they did somehow decide to put AA capability into it, it would probably require 6.

06-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Maybe an 8-AA grip?

But I digress. Maybe the 645D2 will be FF, 56x41.2mm. Maybe the next gen won't be 645 but a 67D. For under US$10k. Batteries not included. And maybe monkeys will fly from me arse. Hay, it could happen!
06-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote

YEP! Hate the idea of no AA batts in a 645D. Sure IQ features count most, but batts are an important choice for me as well.

Been shooting with AA's for years with a PS camera. With my dslr's I love AA's. Would NEVER consider a non AA dslr until the last of my AA powered dslrs' died. (Got 6 of them)

Proprietary batteries are more powerful no doubt. But, AA's do a good job and I am not dissatisfied at all with their performance.

You young guys will see how complex you life can get when you have a dozen different chargers that run all these special batteries you must stock. The companies are fudging you cause they want to to buy their high priced batteries and you get locked into them. That is the reason I wont shoot with Nikon or Canon and wont go above Pentax 12 mp cams. They are all in the same boat of fudging the customer.

It is a wonderful feeling to know every damn thing you got runs on AA or AAA batteries. In the past I had to stock every type of battery from D's, C's, Lanterns and all the assorted proprietary batteries. On day I had enough and said fudge that. Made up my mind to never buy anything that wont run on AA's or AAA.

Now, I am not 100% successful with this strategy, but about 95% successful.

This wont run on AA's.

http://www.policemag.com/_Images/articles/M-Arsenal-82.jpg

My rad detector runs on 9v. Also few smoke detectors are 9v My garage door openers run on wafer batts...but that is it. EVERYTHING else is AA or AAA.
06-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Well, don't expect AA's coming back into this cameraline. I hope Pentax switches to the D-Li90 batterypack (K-5. K-01 and 645D) for all their products (including flashes).

To be honest, I don't expect a full frame 645D for the coming generation. Maybe a little bigger sensor (48x36mm) but even that I doubt. I think they will stay for another generation with 44x33mm and just take a jump towards CMos.
06-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Would NEVER consider a non AA dslr until the last of my AA powered dslrs' died. (Got 6 of them)
Maybe you should consider a $40K + Phase One medium format system, the camera's run on AA batteries from my recollection, might save you $100 in batteries over the life of the camera.

06-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Of course, the Phase One backs still require their own rechargable, non-AA battery...so I guess you'd be out of luck there.

Frankly, I think that it's still cheaper to go with the Pentax genuine battery in the long run vs. buying and throwing away all those AA's. And my experience with rechargable AA's has been that they don't last long.