Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
645 External Power Socket

Just had a look at the instruction manual for the 645 and noticed that on the nomenclature of parts that shows the bottom of the camera and the unattached handgrip there appears to be an external power socket on the handgrip. Is there an accessory external power supply like the ones provided for flasguns available for the 645?

06-20-2012, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

There is a cord that allows you to remove the grip, handy for tripod usage.

Attached is the manual for it.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 645_Power_Cord,_Remote_Battery_Pack.pdf (180.4 KB, 485 views)
06-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I just recently bought one of those external battery packs. Found it in the junk bin for just a few dollars.
06-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the information guys.

06-21-2012, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Reading that pdf manual was an education for me too. I have finally figured out why the grip was removable on the original 645. It was meant to be a remote control! Honestly, that was one of the great mysteries of that camera in my mind until now. And then with this remote battery pack I had assumed that the idea was just to have more battery power. But the manual makes it clear that the primary application was extremely cold weather. You take the batteries out of your grip and put them in the remote pack and then keep that warm in a pocket somewhere so they last longer in the cold. Brilliant!

Sorry if this was old news to you all... I'm always happy when I learn something new about an old camera!