Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

645 45-85 A vs FA lens

No info here on the 645 A 45-85 lens. How does it compare to the FA copy?

Thanks

06-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Exactly the same. Same optical formula. Comes down to if you want MF or AF. The A 45-85 isn't as pleasant to use as the A 120mm. The focus isn't as dampened. But if you are going to be manual focusing the lens the A is a better choice over the FA.

Look if you are actually serious about getting a 645D you need to purchase several copies of each lens and find the ones that work for you. If you spend 10K on a camera it is of little trouble for you to spend extra on lenses to get the lenses you want. Not all lenses are the same. Some 45-85's have a slightly slanted focus plane. Not a problem unless you take pictures of brick walls. Just buy a bunch and choose the one that is best.

A bit off topic but I have been reading all the threads springing up lately under your name and really want to sum this up in one post. I honeslty don't think the 645D is right for you. The d800 sounds better for you as it does more of what you seem to be after. It will have far less of a learning curve and there are more lens options for you like soft focus, wide angle, and lens babies... You can even get a battery grip for it that takes AA batteries. The 645D is a professional landscape camera (for me at least), requires much more patience and learning. 40mp on a large sensor is a bit demanding on technique, focus accuracy, dof control, stability with long lenses, etc. This will be less of a problem with the d800 as the sensor is smaller. And unless you are like me and want large lenses to put in front of a medium format camera the d800 will be cheaper. I think the flexibility of the d800 and similar platform to what you are use to will save you a lot of frustration and dollars. Sometimes when there isn't time to get everything out of the 645D and I would loose shots I find myself using my k5s. The two are really a great pair. One is light compact and has shake reduction for moving quick the other has high res for printing grand images large.
06-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the rundown atlnq9. Already committed for now with the 645D and numerous lenses. So will see where the 645D goes. If it does not work out will sell it. As an old cruster I got more $$ than time left, so I move kinda quick with things once I decide which way I'm going.

atlnq9, I was never thinking much about the D800. Well maybe if it ran on 4 AA batts. But pretty happy with the Pentax gear I got. I saw some street pix with a 645D and was very impressed. So that pushed me in the 645D direction.

I'm not new to MF cams by any means. Had numerous Hassy, Pentax and Mamaya 6 x 7, Yashica and other 6 x 6 cams back in the 70's. So I know what it is like to shoot with them.

Now, the 4 x 5 gear was too big to lug around for my work. So I dumped it all. But even then I used to shoot with a 65 / 75 Super Angulon with the 4 x 5. I've always loved the wide side of things...

ca 1970's L.A. Toyoview 4 x 5 with 65 / 75mm Super Angulon Kodak film

Since I broke my rule about not buying a cam that wont on on 4 AA's with the 645D. I also picked up a K-01 that runs on the same batt. Was interested in seeing what a mirrorless cam works like. Again, if it does not work out will sell it.

Thanks for everyones help!

Last edited by slackercruster; 06-18-2012 at 12:19 PM.
06-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well congrats. I think you will find the combo of apsc and 645D good. One is compact, shake reduction, higher iso, and less dof issues while the other provides amazing prints. Never used the K01 personally as I could never live without a viewfinder. But again my recomendation is buy several different lenses and several copies of each for the 645D. Try the zooms and primes (except the 45mm and perhaps the 33-55). I prefer the A45-85 for landscape but for taking pictures of people and events the FA where AF is a big aid. Make sure you calibrate the focus on each AF lens. Lenses are relatively cheap especially the A lenses so it never hurts to try them then sell them if you don't like them.

06-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

I'm old school Not into shake reduction or AF that much. Although I did test shake red on a Bigma and it is a great feature to have. If I ever have to handhold the monster will use it.
06-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've owned a few copies of the FA and one of the A and have never detected a performance difference. The A versions typically feel more solid to me than their direct FA equivalent, but that is personal and I have never experienced a functional difference so far.

Getting back to the A versus FA 45-85mm, I like the FA, because the lens hood is a petal shape, rigid plastic one as opposed to the soft rubber one for the A version. Not a huge difference, but a significant enough one for me to mention. The focus action on the A version is looser as is the zoom action - but that is from a sample size of one A lens, but both of those actions were buttery smooth. Not to say the FA is a slouch in comparison, but there appears to be a difference.

As atlnq9 mentioned the A 120mm is a lovely lens - so if you already have this lens its action is firm, but fluid... just beautiful. Neither of these 45-85mm's are on par with the feel of the A 120.
06-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
Getting back to the A versus FA 45-85mm, I like the FA, because the lens hood is a petal shape, rigid plastic one as opposed to the soft rubber one for the A version. Not a huge difference, but a significant enough one for me to mention. The focus action on the A version is looser as is the zoom action - but that is from a sample size of one A lens, but both of those actions were buttery smooth. Not to say the FA is a slouch in comparison, but there appears to be a difference.
Did I buy your A 45-85? Can't remember but it was somebody on the forum here.

For landscapes the hood is never an issue for me as I am almost always using grad ND's on it... But I guess I would say that the petal shape hood is a much better option for how I use my FA. I bought two FA's and one was a much lower performer. The A version is much easier to back slightly off of infinity to get the foreground and background in focus than the FA. That's why I use it for landscapes...
06-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Did I buy your A 45-85? Can't remember but it was somebody on the forum here.

For landscapes the hood is never an issue for me as I am almost always using grad ND's on it... But I guess I would say that the petal shape hood is a much better option for how I use my FA. I bought two FA's and one was a much lower performer. The A version is much easier to back slightly off of infinity to get the foreground and background in focus than the FA. That's why I use it for landscapes...
Yes, you purchased my A 45-85mm. I hope it is working out well for you.