Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter

why not in raw?

i have 2 cameras that have the in-camera hdr feature, but neither works in the raw mode,anyone have an idea why?
the 645d and the sony a-550.

06-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #2

In Camera HRD (one shot) tries to compress the full RAW Dynamic into JPEG.
In Raw You already have all the information.

-Linus-
06-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because to use the HDR mode the camera has to process the images. RAW images cannot be processed (apart from cheeky NR), so it can't produce a RAW file by combining other RAWs. I guess you could produce a TIFF, but it doesn't do that
06-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Because to use the HDR mode the camera has to process the images. RAW images cannot be processed (apart from cheeky NR), so it can't produce a RAW file by combining other RAWs. I guess you could produce a TIFF, but it doesn't do that
thanks, that's about as clear an answer as i could hope for.so i will auto bracket 3 or 5 images and merge them as tiffs or go with in camera hdr in jpeg.

06-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beyond a single experiment, I haven't used the camera HDR but when I do I figure the first thing I'll do in pp is save it as tiff.