Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DandA Quote
Well of course a big welcome! Well some really great images of yours from the FA 150mm f2.8 as a great introduction. What I liked a lot about your portaits with this lens (besides the portraits themselves) is that your images show precisely many of the characteristics that make the FA 150mm f2.8 so appealing and aslo characteristics unique to that lens. You can see the core central sharpness in the face (eyes), yet the contrast and color rendition is delicate and attractive. Nicely done.

Dave (DandA)
thanks Dave.. i understand what you are saying about the FA 150/2.8.. it is very delicate and I actually prefer the softer look of this lens over the 120/4 macro which is very very sharp but too clinical looking, if you know what i mean..

when the FA 150/2.8 is stopped down it does has a nice sharpness across the field but not too sharp as you had mentioned in previous post.. here is an example at f8.

06-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Yes indeed, these comments only apply to film, on the 645N, not to the 645D. I cannot comment on the D. But I thought it was fair to point out that the A and FA are not identical and so I dug up a quote from my database.
They may well perform differently, since the 35A and FA do that on the D as well, apparently. That's why I wondered whether DigiLloyd had anything to say on the FA version vs the A of the 200mm.
I don"t recall for the moment what Pentax 645 lenses DigiLloyd tested with the 645D. I do think though it's very informative when people give their thoughts and observations on use of any of these Pentax 645 lenses whether they be on film or on the 645D. Lenses may perform differently on each, but it"s always helpful to know of lenses strengths and weaknesses and optical characteristics. I also think comparing MF vs AF versions of a given lens, whether they use the same optical design or not, is also very informative. Thanks for posting your observations!

Dave (DandA)
06-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by acarlay Quote
thanks Dave.. i understand what you are saying about the FA 150/2.8.. it is very delicate and I actually prefer the softer look of this lens over the 120/4 macro which is very very sharp but too clinical looking, if you know what i mean..

when the FA 150/2.8 is stopped down it does has a nice sharpness across the field but not too sharp as you had mentioned in previous post.. here is an example at f8.
A lovely representative example of the FA 150 f2.8 ! I know exactly what you mean regarding then120 macro being almost clinically sharp ( which is superb for many applications), while the FA 150 is more delicate and works extremely well for certain types of subjects, where very sharp and clinical would not be advantageous. Each lens is excellent, especially when used where it's optical strengths are taken advantage of.

Dave (DandA)
06-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BTW, while I love my FA 150mm, I started with theA version and really liked it—on film, though. Two things counted against it: 2.8 vs 3.5 and especially the fact that the FA version focuses at shorter distances than the A one does. But if I could not get the FA lens, I'd certainly not forgo the manual focus version. It's dirt cheap for the quality you get. Again, your mileage may vary on the 645D. Same applies to the 135 LS lens, which combines incredible sharpness stopped down with a soft portrait lens image wide open.

06-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #20

BTW, while I love my FA 150mm, I started with theA version and really liked it—on film, though. Two things counted against it: 2.8 vs 3.5 and especially the fact that the FA version focuses at shorter distances than the A one does. But if I could not get the FA lens, I'd certainly not forgo the manual focus version. It's dirt cheap for the quality you get. Again, your mileage may vary on the 645D. Same applies to the 135 LS lens, which combines incredible sharpness stopped down with a soft portrait lens image wide open.
Thats really good info to know regarding some fo the differences between the A 150 and FA 150. I was also wondering about the 135LS lens characteristics on the 645D (aside from it being a LS lens) and your observations point to a lens typically designed for portrait work....somewhat similar to the FA 150. I'm hoping to try one out on the 645D soon. Thanks!

Dave (DandA)
06-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #21

Yes indeed, these comments only apply to film, on the 645N, not to the 645D. I cannot comment on the D. But I thought it was fair to point out that the A and FA are not identical and so I dug up a quote from my database.
They may well perform differently, since the 35A and FA do that on the D as well, apparently. That's why I wondered whether DigiLloyd had anything to say on the FA version vs the A of the 200mm.
Diglloyd hasn't posted an evaluation of the FA 200 on the 645D, only the A 200, which he rates positively.

Here's a list of the lenses he's posted evaluations for on his website:

1. Pentax-FA 35mm f/3.5 AL (IF)
  2. Pentax-A 45mm f/2.8
  3. Pentax 67 45mm f/4
  4. Pentax-A 55mm f/2.8
  5. Pentax 67 55mm f/4
  6. Pentax-FA 45-85mm f/4.5 @ 45mm
  7. Pentax-FA 45-85mm f/4.5 @ 65mm
  8. Pentax-FA 45-85mm f/4.5 @ 85mm
  9. Pentax-A 75mm f/2.8
  10. Pentax-FA 80-160mm f/4.5 @ 80mm
  11. Pentax-FA 80-160mm f/4.5 @ 120mm
  12. Pentax-FA 80-160mm f/4.5 vs Pentax-A 150/3.5
  13. Pentax-A 120mm f/4
  14. Pentax-A 200mm f/4
  15. Pentax 67 300mm f/4 ED IF
  16. Pentax-FA 400mm f/5.6 ED IF
06-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #22

I admire a lot of his work but the list of actual lenses tested is relatively small. The other thing to keep in mind as I quickly found out in my testing of almost all FA single focal length Pentax 645 lens produced....that two things were key factors in determining how a lens performed on the 645D. The first being is to carefully adjust the AF fine tune with each given sample, and second being to test multiple samples of a given lens. The variability of sample performance on the 645D was astonishing and I was forewarned by Pentax that this would be so.

Dave (DandA)

07-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Newmoon Quote
There is also price. The A 150mm I've located is at £199 in the UK, the FA 200mm is at £320 plus import duties and VAT (so around £420 overall). I have located another one in the UK which didn't get a bid on eBay at £200, but not sure what it would sell for. I'm also concerned about buying a 200mm privately without the option of returning if it isn't a good sample.
Out of interest can anyone give an indication of what's a reasonable price to pay for an FA 200m lens in the UK please?
Thanks again for advice
All you can really do is check prices on Ffordes and Mifsuds websites. There is also a power seller on e-bay. I forget his name but I think it is Clifford and he is from the Ceredigion area. Effectively all three have good returns policy which avoids the issue you mention of a private sale. However if the seller has a good rating then issues can usually be resolved. A private e-bay sale may be the only way of getting a bargain but even on e-bay stuff usually finds its market price.

An A 150mm for £199 sounds quite good. I'd have thought that you might be pushed to find a FA 200mm from a reputable dealer in the U.K. at much less than the £420 you mention

Best of luck

asahijock
07-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asahijock Quote
All you can really do is check prices on Ffordes and Mifsuds websites. There is also a power seller on e-bay. I forget his name but I think it is Clifford and he is from the Ceredigion area. Effectively all three have good returns policy which avoids the issue you mention of a private sale. However if the seller has a good rating then issues can usually be resolved. A private e-bay sale may be the only way of getting a bargain but even on e-bay stuff usually finds its market price.

An A 150mm for £199 sounds quite good. I'd have thought that you might be pushed to find a FA 200mm from a reputable dealer in the U.K. at much less than the £420 you mention

Best of luck

asahijock
Also try Dale Photographic in Leeds. I bought a A 200 for less than £400 from there
07-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #25
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Asahijock and Itshmitis
Those sellers are the ones I look at, and in fact I have a lens for sale with Ffordes at the moment. Cliffpr in Ceredigion is someone I've watched for ages, but never bought from. When I used to use 4x5 and frequent the large format forums he had the reputation for having really sky high prices, but always had good feedback. His prices seem more reasonable now. Does he have a physical shop do you know (I visit that area occasionally)?
Other retailers I look at are SRS Microsystems who are official Pentax 645D retailers and have a small amount of used lenses.
The retailer I bought the 645D from is Commercial Cameras in Shropshire, but you need to phone Paul to find out what used 645 stock there is.
The retailer with the A 150mm lens is Camarthen Cameras who have loads of new and used stock (they even have a Nikon 800E sitting on their shelves!). However not much Pentax 645 stuff, but they do have an A 150mm lens at £199. Very good helpful shop though.
There are two forum members who have offered me the FA 200mm lens at around £300 though, and on the basis that I can return it if not happy. I am still undecided on the 200mm
Finally I nearly got an FA 150mm lens from the US. Virtually mint, Made in Japan, good price, the seller with 1500 positive feedbacks in high end camera gear. I pressed the Buy Now, paid, and then a day later he came back with a refund and apologies, saying that someone in the shop had sold it and not removed it from eBay!! Back to square on.
07-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #26

With a return guarantee I doubt you will do better than £300. Yes Cliffpr isn't the cheapest even now but my limited evidence is that he does check his equipment closely and is honest in his assessment and from my one purchase from him with which I was very satisfied, he appears to be keen to satisfy his customers and avoid any ill feeling should the purchaser not be fully happy.

The key to any purchase in my opinion is to take your time. The next A150 or FA 200 isn't the last one for sale on this earth despite what sellers would like you to believe. For every period in which there appears to be nothing there are other periods in which there is several for sale.

Best of luck whatever you decide

asahijock
07-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #27

Hi Smolk: Digiloyd did not test the 150A fully, but he did a side by side comparison test of the 150A and the 80-160 FA at the 150mm setting. His findings on the 645D are quoted below:

Conclusions

The 80-160 is visibly inferior to the 150mm f/3.5 prime lens. I would not consider it worth using on the Pentax 645D, at least not at the 150mm mark as tested here. However, it performs much better at the 80mm and 120mm settings.