Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 90
how much did you pay for your 645D?

in light of the new d800/d800e I recently acquired one, used (less than 4k actuations), for $7000 usd.. how much did you get yours for?

06-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Ryan Tischer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Photos: Albums
Posts: 435
Bought mine new, didn't want to take such a big risk buying used on this investment. So, I paid $9995 USD at B&H.
06-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 573
Buying secondhand was not a choice at the time. Still, if I had kept shooing film, I was using film before the 645D, I would have spent more money on film and processing than the camera by now. And the sale of my film gear and processor paid for the camera. So you could say I got a free 645D and I could save $10,000. Not a bad deal.
06-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,533
If I bought mine in the UK new it would have cost 10k. (about $15.5k) - Rip off Britain alive and well. Mine cost about 6200 equivalent in Tokyo. Lack of worldwide warranty? Pah! The Uk servicer can't service them so it has to go to Japan for repair anyway. It's been back twice (once a sensor fault and secoond time impact damage) and I haven't even had to pay for shipping.

06-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 90
Original Poster
believe it or not i actually bought a new 645D exactly last year for $10k but decided to return it on the 30th day of the return policy.. i just had a hard time processing PEF files in either lightroom or silkypix version at the time gave only me decent results.. when the new lightroom 4 came out processing my old PEFfiles was so much better and i am getting results I am happy with so i decided to get a used one..
06-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 90
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Buying secondhand was not a choice at the time. Still, if I had kept shooing film, I was using film before the 645D, I would have spent more money on film and processing than the camera by now. And the sale of my film gear and processor paid for the camera. So you could say I got a free 645D and I could save $10,000. Not a bad deal.
so are you saying you are enjoying shooting digital more than film now?
06-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Ryan Tischer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Photos: Albums
Posts: 435
QuoteOriginally posted by acarlay Quote
believe it or not i actually bought a new 645D exactly last year for $10k but decided to return it on the 30th day of the return policy.. i just had a hard time processing PEF files in either lightroom or silkypix version at the time gave only me decent results.. when the new lightroom 4 came out processing my old PEFfiles was so much better and i am getting results I am happy with so i decided to get a used one..
What company did you purchase your 645D from that let you return it?
06-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,533
QuoteOriginally posted by acarlay Quote
believe it or not i actually bought a new 645D exactly last year for $10k but decided to return it on the 30th day of the return policy.. i just had a hard time processing PEF files in either lightroom or silkypix version at the time gave only me decent results.. when the new lightroom 4 came out processing my old PEFfiles was so much better and i am getting results I am happy with so i decided to get a used one..
That's useful to know as I use the DNG option on mine. I'll give the PEF a try although the weather isn't on my side and my 45-85 isn't behaving and the only other lens I have with me for my 645d is the 120 macro. As great as the macro is I need a wide angle

06-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 90
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
What company did you purchase your 645D from that let you return it?
Adorama.. they have a great return policy..
06-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 90
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
That's useful to know as I use the DNG option on mine. I'll give the PEF a try although the weather isn't on my side and my 45-85 isn't behaving and the only other lens I have with me for my 645d is the 120 macro. As great as the macro is I need a wide angle
I don't know if PEF will give you better results than DNG but it's definitely worth a try..

The only reason I am using PEF is solely to use Pentax's software but that thing is crude.. and the results are ok.. and picture modes are bleh.. nothing home to write about.. better to draw your own curve in Lightroom..
06-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 573
QuoteOriginally posted by acarlay Quote
so are you saying you are enjoying shooting digital more than film now?
I can't enjoy something I no longer do. So, yes.
06-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: pontiac mi.
Posts: 344
QuoteOriginally posted by acarlay Quote
I don't know if PEF will give you better results than DNG but it's definitely worth a try..

The only reason I am using PEF is solely to use Pentax's software but that thing is crude.. and the results are ok.. and picture modes are bleh.. nothing home to write about.. better to draw your own curve in Lightroom..
i agree the pentax editor sucks. picasa is better.i only set my camera for dng.
06-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 72
I paid around 10.000 Dollar for mine. It is a fair price for what you get.
06-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE, USA
Posts: 1,302
Sounds like a great deal OP. I went for new since not much disc from used. 10K
07-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #15
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,669
QuoteOriginally posted by acarlay Quote
I don't know if PEF will give you better results than DNG but it's definitely worth a try..

The only reason I am using PEF is solely to use Pentax's software but that thing is crude.. and the results are ok.. and picture modes are bleh.. nothing home to write about.. better to draw your own curve in Lightroom..
Forget about PEF, that is history and change to DNG if you didn't already.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, medium format
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need you help - should I pay $1,900 for a K-5 Silver leifsavage Pentax K-5 37 07-01-2011 10:35 AM
Nature Time to pay the toll..... UpNorth Post Your Photos! 13 03-30-2011 01:16 PM
I'll pay more jeffkrol General Talk 28 11-17-2010 09:21 PM
How much would you pay for a FF Pentax DSLR? uccemebug Pentax DSLR Discussion 70 08-11-2010 09:01 PM
how much would you pay for 645d? philmorley Pentax News and Rumors 13 02-04-2008 05:48 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:21 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top