Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2012, 03:55 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I did that change!

February 2011 and I was still shooting all my work with canon equipment. I had a 5d mark2 and a 1d mark3 and pro lenses covering everything from 15mm to 300mm with at least 2.8. In April 2011 I finally made my move for the Pentax 645d. Sold all my Canon gear and bought me the 645d kit. I also invested in a used A 35mm and the FA 120mm macro. I have worked with this setup for little over a year and absolutely love it. I will buy the 200mm as well (hopefully soon).

My workflow changed radically to a better direction. I put more time in building the image in my head before actually pressing the trigger. I noticed that there are lots more "keeper" files and the files just are perfect.

I actually fell in love with the Pentax system and now own a K5 with several lenses as well. A perfect team the 645d and k5.

So my opinion is that go for it!!!

Well spent money and if you give yourself the time to adjust with the slower workflow, the whole shebang will give you A LOT.

Cheers,

Jan

Last edited by jani80; 07-01-2012 at 08:24 AM.
07-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow, thanks all for the replies!Just to answer few questions: I do mostly studio shots, I would say 9/10... and they are portraits, sculptures, art work, etc. so when I do go outside my studio I use my small Panasonic GF1, which I love. but rarely I do foto shoots on location, but maybe I will go outside if I had this camera..... I can honestly say that out of the 5 lenses I have the most I use is the Canon 85mm 1.2 which is fantastic for portraits, and the second one I use the most is a Zoom lens 24-70mm. I have not seen the 645D in person, they have one at headshoots.ca for rent I think that I could try... I also have a 70-200 2.8, and a macro 180 mm, that I rarely use..I think I have used them only few times since I bought them. I think it will all depends how much money I can get from my current equipment. I was looking at the Pentax site and there is only two 'official' lenses that go with the 645D. So preferably I would get the one of those.
07-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arteisfoto Quote
I was looking at the Pentax site and there is only two 'official' lenses that go with the 645D. So preferably I would get the one of those.
The D FA 25mm (for 645D + full frame 645 film released in Japan), DA 25mm (only for the 'cropped' sensor of 645D released in USA), and D FA 55mm are the only new lenses Pentax currently has available. A 90mm is also on the way, but nobody knows if it will be DA or D FA yet. These two available prime lenses are REALLY going to limit your creative possibilities, I'd seriously look at some of the used lenses if I were you, as they cover many more focal lengths and will cost much less, though the D FA 55mm isn't too bad (about $1200 USD I think).

The 45-85mm and 80-160mm both seem like they are lenses you might use often and are available used in autofocus for about $650-850 each. They are really sharp for zoom lenses, in fact the 45-85 is reportedly sharper than the 45mm prime. I also love the 35mm for landscape work.
07-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you! Since I am a costumed to the Canon 85mm I think the Pentax(?) 45-85 would be a good fit. In other news, I got a quote from a online store offering me $4200 for all my equipment. I am not sure what route to go, whether I should sell on eBay? Henrys? or B&H?. I paid $12000 when I bought it new, and I would like to get a better deal, since my equipment is almost new.

07-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #20
Banned

I can honestly say that out of the 5 lenses I have the most I use is the Canon 85mm 1.2 which is fantastic for portraits, and the second one I use the most is a Zoom lens 24-70mm. I also have a 70-200 2.8, and a macro 180 mm, that I rarely use..I think I have used them only few times since I bought them. I was looking at the Pentax site and there is only two 'official' lenses that go with the 645D. So preferably I would get the one of those.
Well in Japan and Europe there are more lenses new for sale from FA645-line. Maybe in USA in the future also.

I guess that with 35mm - 55mm - 75mm - 150mm - 80-160mm you have al you need.

The D-FA55 is the kitlens. The FA75mm is cheap and very good. I love the FA150mm wich will give you a long portraitlens starting at f2.8.

For macro you could look for a set of extension tubes. Or the A120mm macro wich is manual focus and cheaper then the AF FA120mm.
07-01-2012, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
It would be a poor system for action or wildlife photography, however.
I do a lot of wildlife work with mine. Was shooting wildlife with mine just today. And last weekend was shooting lions, rhinos, elephants, etc.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
07-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I got a quote from a online store offering me $4200 for all my equipment. I am not sure what route to go, whether I should sell on eBay? Henrys? or B&H?. I paid $12000 when I bought it new, and I would like to get a better deal, since my equipment is almost new.
If you're in the US and near a major city, I've had good luck selling things on Craigslist (sold all my Canon gear and three used cars on CL). Only take cash and sell in person, making sure to meet at a place of your choosing or public area.

07-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
I do a lot of wildlife work with mine. Was shooting wildlife with mine just today. And last weekend was shooting lions, rhinos, elephants, etc.
Nice picture. I did some sports with (a loaner) 645D and 645FA*300mm/f4 and that workt very well.
07-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks again Pentax's users. I will go on Thursday to Henry's ( a local camera store in Canada) and see how much money they can offer me for my equipment. If it doesn't work I will list my equipment in the weekend.
07-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #25

Thanks again Pentax's users. I will go on Thursday to Henry's ( a local camera store in Canada) and see how much money they can offer me for my equipment. If it doesn't work I will list my equipment in the weekend.

I have found it's better to find an and individual that wants your equipment. With a brick and mortar store needing to turn a profit I doubt they would offer anything close to what you might need or want. I suppose it depends on how great a monetary loss your willing to accept. It took a while but ebay worked for me when I sold my equipment. Good luck.
07-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #26

they have one at headshoots.ca for rent I think that I could try...
This is where I got mine and they let me rent it for free for a deposit on a credit card. I had it for a weekend to try it out and when I finally ordered my unit they let me keep the "rental" until my camera arrived. I definitely recommend them. My sales guy was Andrew (forgot his last name).

This is old now, but I did a write up on my feelings about the camera on my blog. Dominik Wojtarowicz Blog

I have 5 lenses for it now (including both of the new ones) and can't be more happy with the system.
07-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #27

I was recently at Henry's in Toronto and got to check out a Pentax 645d and a Nikon d800. The Pentax 645d is HUGE compared to the Nikon D800! I also have Canon gear and have been vacillating for months on getting a 645d or a D800e. After seeing the 645d I have swung towards getting the D800. I talked with folks at both Henry's and Vistek and neither had much to say about the 645d as it seems d800 sales have kicked it in the teeth. I really want the aspect ratio of the 645d (hate the 3:2 of DSLRs), but not for an extra $7k for the body!! Contrary to what a lot of folks say they are a number of cheap lenses for the d800 that are killer (50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8 and few others). What I really want is for Pentax to come out a give some indication as to whether they are continuing the 645d line and what their plans are. So far just silence. It makes me nervous thinking of investing $10k+ into a 2 year old product line with an unknown future. In any case I'm now on a list for a D800e. If Pentax, in the future, where to release a 2nd generation 645d then I could always sell the d800 gear, which will be very liquid, and go for the new camera.

IMO the there is not enough separation between the d800 and the 645d to justify the crazy price difference. And for me, although I do need more megapixels for my work, the better dynamic range of the d800 is just as important. I suppose if printing mega posters is your thing than the 645d will be better

If I could get a used 645d for $5k I might jump. To me that is what it is worth in today's market, although I know all the 645d owners on this forum will disagree!

But if you are at a point in your life where $10k is not much of an issue then go for it!

Fun to have choices!
07-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Well I am similar to EarthImage but opposite. I am waiting to see if Nikon comes out with a D4 with the d800 sensor. I will always keep the 645D but I want to supliment it with a d800e sensor and a 24mm TS and stabilized 300mm 2.8 (and possibly Sigma 500mm 4.5) so I can drop the k5. (I want quality crops but with the advantage of precisely selecting the crop post image) Until then I don't see the value unloading my k5 and plithera of lenses for a d800 and 3 lenses. If I was still in the US it would be a different story though.
07-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #29
Banned

It is a big set:

This is me with the 645FA*300mm/f4 on it

People look at you, even when they have a D4 set around.
07-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarthImage Quote
What I really want is for Pentax to come out a give some indication as to whether they are continuing the 645d line and what their plans are. So far just silence.
When Ricoh bought Pentax it stated it was going to continue to pursue MFD. It has plans to release a tethering software and a 90mm lens this year. Hardly silence.

BTW, print size should have nothing to do with your choice as neither camera is limited by print size. You know, it is really easy to come out and say you prefer the D800. You don't need to make things up to justify it to us.