Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2012, 02:19 AM   #1

Exposure Error on my 67-Pictures

Hello

Yesterday I exposed with my 67 a Pan-F and developed it in D76.

Enclosed is a screen-plot of some shots - all pictures have a area at the right edge which is over-exposed. Spped have been 1/125 and 1/250.
An film exposed earlier and developed at the same time was w/o this fault.
Battery seem to be ok!

Has anybody seen this effect? What can I do against it?

Attached Images

07-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There could be something wrong with the shutter, or the winding mechanism could be defective. Is the last photo also like this? If so, that would point to the shutter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
Shutter would have been my guess too - but how.

Looking from the back of the carera the shutter is traveling from right to left - taking into accout the optic the stripe is due to hasitation of the shutter before it is finally closed (I assume- but I am not sure)
07-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by klaus123 Quote
Shutter would have been my guess too - but how.

Looking from the back of the carera the shutter is traveling from right to left - taking into accout the optic the stripe is due to hasitation of the shutter before it is finally closed (I assume- but I am not sure)
The image is exposed upside down on the film making the shutter fault on the right side of the image as you see it.

07-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I think AOShep meant that the image is upside down and backwards, as the reason why the closing shutter caused the overexposed area on the left side of the film gate and therefore the right side of the film.
07-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
It looks like curtain bounce... to me. Also, since the curtain travels from right to left which matches the direction pictures when you factor in the position originally shot (upside down).

Bounce... When the first curtain slides across the film plane the second is to do the same, but it comes to the end of the travel and strikes the ending and bounces open and closes.

Why... The P6X7 and P67 are equipped with a mechanism that is supposed to stop this, but it could be that over time that your camera needs it adjusted, re-oiled or cleaned due to build up of dirt.

To test...? If you have a shutter key, you can dry fire the camera with the back open. If no shutter key, you can trick the camera to fire once. This is the method of using the thumb wheel at the center of the counter. How... is to have the back open for enough to not engage the counter (note the metal tab that is one the film door). While back is open, turn the counter with the thumb wheel to a point beyond the count of one. Close the film door while holding this number greater than '1'. If you successfully locked a count in, now give the lever an advance to cock the shutter. Now have lens off and a brightly lit wall or scene and open the film door to look through and fire shutter at a speed similar to when you have noted the problems. If it is shutter bounce, then you may see the curtain finish an exposure and leave a little strip of light soon after.

... or it is something else?

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 07-01-2012 at 07:15 PM.
07-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Interesting. What are you using for a lens. A lens baby?
07-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Interesting. What are you using for a lens. A lens baby?
Right guess - under "Lensbaby-Club" and on my web-page you can see more.

@MysteryOnion: I triied it, but couldn't recognize anything

Last edited by klaus123; 07-02-2012 at 12:04 PM.
07-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #9
Giveaway winner!

I triied it, but couldn't recognize anything
So I would think the response is that you ran the dry fire and while looking through it could see any signs of the curtain bouncing. So the next question... those shot with the problem... were the shooting conditions all the same? Was it a very warm/hot day or if the camera was exposed to heat? Otherwise, I'm out of theories... still think it is shutter curtain bounce.
07-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #10

Original Poster
Climate conditions had been the same within ~3h @ 20-25°C - my be that the cam doesn`t like motorcycling...

Last edited by klaus123; 07-08-2012 at 12:46 AM.
07-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #11
Giveaway winner!

Climate conditions had been the same within ~3h @ 20-25°C
Klaus, I only mentioned it as with a friend's Bronica that had problems with a year ago. The shutter seemed in accurate or lagged at times for him and gave him a stuttering motion during exposures. We worked out that it was only when he had set up for middle of the day shots on a tripod in a damp area and the camera was exposed to the sun for periods that exceeded ten minutes. Some how his camera didn't like that... yes, I know of the jokes of looking at the Bronica for more that a little bit could cause it to jam. He had covered the camera to protected it and never had the problem come back. I'm not saying that is what is going on with your camera, but some times it is a odd as that.
07-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #12

I agree - most likely a shutter bounce problem. I had a similar situation with my 6x7 that was discussed in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/83297-s...m-6x7-mlu.html. I recently had Eric Hendrickson fix mine, although I haven't tried it out yet.
07-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #13

Original Poster
@Denverdad: Thak you for the interesting link to your problem - but this seems to be different because you had a dark reagion at the right side and I have an overexposed area at the same position. In the following discussion somoe had an slight overexposin issue too - but is has not been as severe as seen on my pictures.

Before taking any actions I will risk annoter batch of rolles to veryfy the severity.
07-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #14

Original Poster
Hello

Meanwhile I sent it to a repair workshop.
Diagnosis has been a defect shutter brake - it is now repaired and currently on its way back to me.

Host-Photoservice was able to diagnose defect and a cost estimation by phone and needed only one day (+ shipment) for the repair.

Last edited by klaus123; 08-12-2012 at 03:07 AM.
07-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Do you mean shutter brake ("stopper")?