Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How do you transport your MF gear?

What supersized bags / packs do you haul your MF gear in?

07-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's really not that much larger than Canon or Nikon gear. I use the same bag I did before...it just weighs more since the camera and lenses are slightly heavier than my old Canon gear was. Anways, I use a Tamrack bag, not sure the model, but when it's completely full it's quite heavy and when I go on long hikes I carefully consider which lenses I REALLY need
07-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Also, I highly recommend one with a waist and chest strap, as this takes some of the pressure off of your shoulders and helps to keep the bag from swinging on your back, causing you to lose balance!
07-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Banned

I presently own three medium format systems; a still near mint Hasselblad 2000 F/C, a Hasselblad H4 with both film and digital backs (really prefering the film), and a Pentax 645d...

As for the Pentax; it fits quite well into a LowePro DZ; almost a bag within another bag; the same highly controversial bag that some have had issues with (not myself). It's one of a few softsided bags that is in fact completely waterproof. The bag is a bit on the pricey side, but well worth it. The interior of the bag does leave a lot of room for a variety of configurations. It's also one of the more comfortable backpacks if loaded properly. As for the color of the bag; it almost gives someone an excuse to purchase the yellow bee Pentax K-01 - they almost match perfectly.

Lowepro - DryZone 200

There are also quite the variety of other cases from LowePro, Tamrac, even Zero Halliburton that would suit either a Pentax MF body or even small system

07-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A ten-plus year-old Lowe Pro Mini Trekker for transport and a Think Tank belt system for when I am working--the belt system is thrown in the Lowe Pro when not used.
07-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Hello,

I use Vanguard Kenline 58 for travels, in whitch i can store almost all my lenses + the body, as well as a Lowepro slingshot for casual use, where either the 645D or the film version can fit with up to 4 more lenses (basically : DFA25mm, DFA 55mm, FA75mm and FA150mm).
07-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Recently picked up this Ikan Trekker for my 67.

IBG-TRK: ikan "Trekker" | ikan

Phil.

07-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #8

The one I use is Tilopa BC , it fits my 645D, 5 lenses (300mm, 120mm, 150mm, 55mm, and the new 25mm) a rain jacket, a monarch foldable chair, a few pieces of food, flashlight, leatherman multi tool and a tripod on the side. After having had multiple bags for my gear this one is the most practical out in the field so far.
07-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

When I first got Pentax autofocus (SF1n) I got a Lowe Pro Magnum bag. I bought a used one for my Hasselblad mostly as the zipper was not working good on the original bag and a used bag was cheaper than repairing. My system has a 500 C/M, extention tubes, lightmeter, a prism and waist level finder, 2 to 3 backs and perhaps 4 lenses (2 are mine and 2 are semi-permamently borrowed). Also room for filters and film of course. The waist belt helps with the load but if I was to carry it any distance I would use either the sling bag I have for my Pentaxs or for more room but less suspension I would use a Lowe Pro Omni Trekker only because I have one for my 4X5. If I was buying new and looking for a shoulder bag I would also look at the Domke F1. My wife has a F2 and has recently obtained a back pack harness for it but has not yet used it.

My Hasselblad outfit not inclucing the 250mm is most likely less weight than the D200, 17-55 and 70-200 outfit I used to use and filled the Domke F2 at my previous job. Need to see if I really want to tote the 250 around much as without it I can get the K-r and two or three lenses in the bag.

Many bags will work depending on your style of shooting and the distance you need to carry it. MF is not much larger or heavier than a pro DSLR. An exception is the Fuji GX680 which fits nicely in a SUV or minivan .