Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

line streak @1600 iso 645D

has anyone experienced this line streak at 1600 iso? can anyone else test it for me? it looks like this and i'm wondering if this is normal or not.. thank god it's only one line from my sensor..

100%

downsized image.. can't really see it..

07-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a common sensor defect, but it is to bad that it had to happen on your 645D!

While it's hard to notice, it's get your sensor replaced under warranty if possible.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Adam.. can u confirm with your 645D that it doesn't do this @ iso1600?
07-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Try to get it replaced...
If it doesn't happen, you could create an action in Photoshop that would try to correct this.
(you can send a couple of images to me and i'll send you the action)

07-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does it only show up at ISO 1600?
07-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yes only at iso 1600!
07-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Try to get it replaced...
If it doesn't happen, you could create an action in Photoshop that would try to correct this.
(you can send a couple of images to me and i'll send you the action)
hey thanks i'll take you up on that..

07-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
we all notice our sensor defects at 1600 first. then one day its in 800 and then all of a sudden its in iso 200. per adams advice , get a new sensor or camera under warranty as soon as possible...i did and i am much happier.
07-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 672 Quote
we all notice our sensor defects at 1600 first. then one day its in 800 and then all of a sudden its in iso 200. per adams advice , get a new sensor or camera under warranty as soon as possible...i did and i am much happier.
thanks for the advise.. how long was the turnaround to get your camera back?
07-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

it takes about a month to follow pentax usa procedure and send the camera to their official repair center, c.r.i.s. , in arizona who know absolutely nothing about the 645 D , nor do they care , nor can you speak with any one but a pleasant operator. the repair center, c.r.i.s. in arizona sends the camera back with a vague note that they have "recalibrated the sensor to factory specs". after several dozen more shots it becomes apparent that they have in fact have done nothing to adress the problem and have zero customer accountability and are not used to dealing with proffessionals, they are perhaps set up for the consumer market.
from there i got in touch with pentax in colorado as well as my regional rep and they fast tracked the camera to assessment in colorado , while loaning me a 645D, and after seeing the poor results they shipped me a brand new unit directly from the factory in the phillipines...........so, about three months total......
07-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Incredible... with such a poor performance, they will definitely not penetrate the professionnal market ...
07-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acarlay Quote
thanks for the advise.. how long was the turnaround to get your camera back?
From the UK perspective, my 645D has been off to repair twice. First time was a sensor fault fixed under warranty. That time it took 6 weeks. The second time was a repair due to impact damage. This time it took 3 months. Both times it had to be sent to Japan to be fixed as Johnson Photopia, Pentax's UK repair agent can't fix them in the UK. There is also a repair facility in Hamburg, but Johnson's have sent it to Japan both times.

In your shoes, I would get it seen to as there is a risk of the fault spreading and this could be very expensive if it happens at the end of your warranty period.
07-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 672 Quote

I had my own camera on repair and the one I got to use from Pentax had the same problem. But it was noticeable at all isos. Of course you had to look at the image much more carefully at low isos to notice it. I found that If you take a image that is blurred of a single colored wall you can find it much easier.

After I while my own camera was changed to a new one (warranty) and when I came home I noticed that the camera was used and had the same line on the sensor as the camera I borrowed. Took it back and was promised a new one. Got my second new camera and found that it was also used with over 10.000 shutter counts more than my had and marks all over the body. The marks had been covered with a permanent marker... Called my lawyer and he contacted pentax.

Finally got a new one that works. It all took about 10 weeks. Even if I love the camera and the way it works and still tell everyone to buy one if they ask me, my final thoughts about the service was bad. That they try to fool you with a camera that costs so much. I know how good the Hasselblad service is. I am not going back to Canon or Nikon but made me think... what if this shit happens after my warranty ends?!?
07-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
Banned

I just found some vertical lines in also iso1600 shots, so it is something that can happen. It wasn't my 645D, just a loaner, so no worry's for me
07-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jani80 Quote
I had my own camera on repair and the one I got to use from Pentax had the same problem. But it was noticeable at all isos. Of course you had to look at the image much more carefully at low isos to notice it. I found that If you take a image that is blurred of a single colored wall you can find it much easier.

After I while my own camera was changed to a new one (warranty) and when I came home I noticed that the camera was used and had the same line on the sensor as the camera I borrowed. Took it back and was promised a new one. Got my second new camera and found that it was also used with over 10.000 shutter counts more than my had and marks all over the body. The marks had been covered with a permanent marker... Called my lawyer and he contacted pentax.

Finally got a new one that works. It all took about 10 weeks. Even if I love the camera and the way it works and still tell everyone to buy one if they ask me, my final thoughts about the service was bad. That they try to fool you with a camera that costs so much. I know how good the Hasselblad service is. I am not going back to Canon or Nikon but made me think... what if this shit happens after my warranty ends?!?
i bought the camera used for $7k and believe it's been over a year since it was bought new from original buyer also i don't think warranty's are transferable.. maybe this problem is normal? anyway i don't think i will go through the process to replace it.. i don't want to let go of my 645D for several months.. I'll just live with it..