Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 02:53 AM   #1

Pentax 645D eyecup lost

I hope someone here can advise me on this. Please help if you can!

On a recent trip in Laos I lost both the deep concave eyecup and the small flat ring which threads onto the viewfinder into the Mekong River.

I am based in Thailand and contacted pentax in hong kong and they said only the larger cup is available but I really need both since as I remember the larger cup fits over the smaller one. Please correct me if I am wrong on this. I must say I cant quite recall since I put the eyecup on when I first got the camera and was so excited with the new camera I did not pay much attention.

Does anyone know if the smaller one is just a standard piece I can take off another camera? if not what is my best option? Its pretty I shoot in some pretty harsh places and having no protection on the viewfinder is not great and its also obviously very hard to see much in the finder in bright light.

Anyone who could help me out with some advice would be my hero for life

Thanks Team

MB

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad 2  Photo 
07-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Motionbroker:

Yes you need both; I lost mine in Yellowstone but knew where it had fallen and was able to find it. You can use any of the old eyecups from the 645 film cameras which have the two parts of the new eyecup as one unit. You should be able to find a used one without too much trouble. I'm not sure if the ring alone was available.
07-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Thomas

Thaomas

Thanks so much for your reply.

Is this the eyecup you are referring to?

Pentax 645 LARGE EYECUP - KEH.com

I have to say that the response from the pentax distributor in Hong Kong was really disappointing. That a small part that is easily lost is "not available" is just not an acceptable situation for a professional level product like this. Yes Im sure its a small thing and they dont make a lot of money on it but it is the commitment a company makes to support gear at this level.

Im sure others out there will agree.

Anyway thanks again for your assitance.

Rgds
MB
07-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Yes that will fit; it's also more secure, since there is a small pin which must be aligned to remove or mount the eyepiece. There is a small one as well.

07-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I lost my smaller eyepiece and the screw in ring as well...not sure where it is either. I'd be interested if I can buy the screw in piece, as I still have the larger eyepiece, but no way to secure it. Sounds like this is fairly common on the 645D...having it fall off I mean.
07-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
I lost my smaller eyepiece and the screw in ring as well...not sure where it is either. I'd be interested if I can buy the screw in piece, as I still have the larger eyepiece, but no way to secure it. Sounds like this is fairly common on the 645D...having it fall off I mean.
Yes it appears to be a common problem. After I lost mine, I noticed that I tend to put the camera lens down in my bag. When I remove the camera, I grap the grip and my thumb applies a counterclockwise force to the eye piece. Do that enough times and the eyepiece falls off. The older ones are much more secure.
07-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
Pentax support

Guys,

I am going to be raising hell with Pentax. For the small ring to not be available is just not acceptable considering how easy it is to lose. We are talking about serious professional gear here and it would seem that every part should be available instantly. Im very disappointed in the answers I am getting from my distributor.

Will let you know what I find out.

MB
07-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #8

Original Poster
Just to let you all know.

Pentax never responded to multiple queries from me. Pentax support really seems to be quite poor. They also never responded to my queries on the digital level requiring calibration. Clearly when you buy a 645d you are on your own in Asia.

The agent I bought the camera from (Tin Cheung Camera in Hong Kong) was extremely helpful and managed to get a pair of the eyecups for me. Not sure how they did it but my hat is off to Kenneth.

Hopefully this will be the last drama I have for a while with this camera.

MB

07-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hmmm , does this not have to unscrewed via a very fine thread ? i swap mine out with the right angle viewer thingy ,for low angles etc, you have to turn it many many times for it to come off ? or are we talking something else ???