Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Leaf shutter lens

What is the purpose of the leaf shutter lens?

Is it for flash synch benefit only?

07-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Leaf shutters have some problems at higher shutter speeds, as high speeds usually mean larger apertures required. This means that the shutter must open fully more rapidly, a severe burden on any mechanism. For this reason, shutter speeds on large format lenses are often limited to 1/500 second, or less (although there are some exceptions). The best optical location for a leaf shutter is the same as the aperture diaphragm, which creates more engineering problems.
There are some diffraction (minor) and relative aperture phemomena noted at high shutter speeds, in that the shutter's aperture becomes the lens aperture that is constantly changing from f/inf to f/min and back.
Also as the shutter assembly ages, the shutter speed decreases, so you might be dialing in 1/500 when in fact the shutter speed is 1/320.
I would say that it would have to be really important for the photographer to have high sync speeds at any power setting to justify the extra expense and lower maximum shutter speeds. I say at any power setting because most dedicated flash systems can sync at any speed using reduced power or rapidly strobing pulses.
07-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #3

I think for old analog MF-Cameras with low sync-speeds (6x7 = 1/40) LF-Lenses are the only chance for daylight fill flashes.
I made some tries with a lend 75LS on my 645 and found that the real benefit is visibal only if the exposure difference between ambient exposure and flash exposure is less the 2 F-stops - if the difference is bigger (flash lighter) ghost pictures by camera movements are neglligable.

Link to this test (sorry in German): http://forum.digitalfotonetz.de/download.php?id=23758

After this tests I decided to buy a 90LS which I can use on 645 & 67 - ans since than never used it for flash photos

On the 67 I hoped that the handheld pictures at slow speed might be better (less vibration at the time of exposure) - but since now I have not been able to verify it

Last edited by klaus123; 07-16-2012 at 11:22 AM.
07-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Flash sync (studio flash, chiefly) at higher speeds rather than the 1/30 standard sync on the 67 / 6x7 bodies is the chief selling point. LS lenses (Pentax makes only the 165mm LS now) are also considerably heavier than non-LS lenses due to the additional shutter mechanics in the design, and they require careful setting up when actually used in leaf-shutter mode (that is to say, they are not full-time leaf shutter lenses, but are selectable/de-selectable and a procedure must be followed to avoid damage to the lens or the camera). Camera-side shutter speed must be set to 1/15 in leaf-shutter mode. The ancient (1971) 90mm 2.8 LS has the interesting feature of being able to trigger the 67/6x7 body independently for vibration-free shots; this cannot be done with the bigger (heavier) 165mm LS lens. And that (165mm) requires solid stability to avoid introducing vibration, so MLU is a must for it unless using very high speed film and correspondingly higher (>1/250)Tv values. Performance-wise neither lens is as stellar as a number of other SMC lenses in the Pentax stable. My personal go-to favourite is the 55mm f4.

Last edited by Silent Street; 07-17-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: 2x typos
07-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The manual for the P6x7 LS lenses says set the body to 1/8th shutter speed (or slower) to use the LS feature.

The 90mm LS in pure leaf shutter mode doesn't do anything to "trigger" the P6x7 body. You lock the shutter open on the body manually with that special (hidden) mode between X-sync and 1/1000th on the dial (press the shutter button and it locks open), arm the leaf shutter and fire with a cable release connected to the lens. You have to now close the camera's shutter manually by taking it off the locked open position or arm the leaf shutter and shoot again for multiple exposures.

Last edited by tuco; 07-18-2012 at 12:43 PM.
08-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter

useing a ls lens is not that complicated.ok, set the camera to manual and the apature to f.8. attatch the flash to the shoe, and the sync cord to the lens. then set the lens for shutter speed ,and the apature for distance.experiment until you get the hang of it.
08-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #7

Finding right exposure is not that difficult - either use the old, flshintegrated A-mode or make test shots with a dslr (if you do not own a flash-meter)
This is like w/o LS-Lens for all cameras w/o P-TTL.
08-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klaus123 Quote
Finding right exposure is not that difficult - either use the old, flshintegrated A-mode or make test shots with a dslr (if you do not own a flash-meter)
This is like w/o LS-Lens for all cameras w/o P-TTL.

setting the shutter speed to 1/500 sec,and useing the iso/ distance scale to figure apature puts me in the ball park.