Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Pentax 67 45mm f/4 and Polarizer filter

Anyone try a regular (non slim) 82mm Polarizer filter on the 45/4, does it cause vignetting?

Thanks, Phil.

07-17-2012, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I've stacked two filters on my 45mm with no vignetting. One was a thick Pentax brand bayonet orange filter and the other a thinner profile ND filter. So no problem. In general, a polarize filter and ultra wide angle don't go together well with a lot of sky in the scene. Usually one side of the sky will end up much darker than the other.

Last edited by tuco; 07-17-2012 at 08:04 AM.
07-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I've stacked two filters on my 45mm with no vignetting. One was a thick Pentax brand bayonet orange filter and the other a thinner profile ND filter. So no problem. In general, a polarize filter and ultra wide angle don't go together well with a lot of sky in the scene. Usually one side of the sky will end up much darker than the other.
Thanks Tuco that’s good to know. Pentax indicates the 35mm version (K24/3.5) of this lens will have slight vignetting if using a polarizer.

I wanted to try the 45/4 with a polarizer when shooting fishing boats, so I can remove the reflections from the boats windows.

Phil.
07-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Hey Phil,

I have used a B+W Kaseman Circ. polarizer on that lens without issue...other than the occasional "sky shift" problem tuco mentioned. There is a very slight amount of falloff in the corners as with most wide angles, but it doesn't qualify as vignetting.

Hope the 45 has proven fun for you!

Spent some time last week shooting wild orchids and other unusual plants just south of you in the Olympic Mountains...the frequent rains have really helped the mid-summer wildflowers.

07-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Hey Phil,

I have used a B+W Kaseman Circ. polarizer on that lens without issue...other than the occasional "sky shift" problem tuco mentioned. There is a very slight amount of falloff in the corners as with most wide angles, but it doesn't qualify as vignetting.

Hope the 45 has proven fun for you!

Spent some time last week shooting wild orchids and other unusual plants just south of you in the Olympic Mountains...the frequent rains have really helped the mid-summer wildflowers.
Thanks Ron. I have taken the 45mm out a couple times now and am impressed. Nice sized lens and a joy to use.

Unfortunately my 67 TTL meter is acting up and it only works when a lens is in manual mode, so I have to use stop down metering for all my shooting. I bought an old Gossen meter so I’m going to slowly wean myself off the TTL.

Glad you found some dry weather to shoot the flowers. The growing cycle of flowers, fruit and vegetables is a few weeks late around here because of the colder wet weather.

Phil.