Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #1

645D: Settings to get fastest write time, and fast Preview?

I am attempting to set this 645D up for a Lifestyle shoot. I need it to run as fast as possible. I am curious if anyone can provide info to get the very fastest write times, to the SD cards, and also to get the camera to report back, as quickly as possible, with the LCD Preview.

* I am running latest firmware, and I am running the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 m/s SD cards.

* I am running only Slot 1. Slot 2 is turned off in the camera.

* Shooting RAW/DNG to card.

* Do you think the JPG settings, for size and compression, have anything to do with the actual creation of the JPG Preview that you see on the LCD? In other words, if you were shooting RAW to the card, but you wanted a fast Preview, would it help to set the JPG settings to the smallest JPG and the most compression?

* Any other suggestions that users have found?

Thank you very much.

07-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

What is a life style shoot? I think I can sort of imagine but not sure. I ask this because I wonder why you want to do this with 645d. You cannot do this is a smaller sensor cam? I am not saying that you cannot do this. Think about in the old days with films; there were no instant feedbacks, and shooters did fine back then. For me I got so used to this camera and its tendency that I developed habits to work around it, more or less. Here is my collection of what I consider to be an unorthodox use of this camera - Inappropriate uses of 645D - a set on Flickr

Last edited by Fontan; 07-18-2012 at 09:04 AM.
07-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Turn off lens correction. Generally speaking, RAW images write faster--JPEGs need to be converted from RAW. Perhaps writing to one card is faster, but I like the security of having a backup copy. I think if you simply take a test shot for exposure and then just shoot, that would be the fastest. Once you have multiple images saving, it can take some time to write the data. I usually just take an exposure frame and then just shoot.
07-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
NO

nice website. i can see that you are quite proficient with slow cameras. and the answer to your question is no, the 645D cannot be made to go faster. its always several seconds to write and preview each frame. in a perfect world i would carry two 645D, switching between bodies every frame for lifestyle or other faster shoots. as it is i use a 1DS3 and switch to the 645D when i feel the particular subject needs that extra depth or being there feel that medium format provides.

i have toyed with the idea of renting a second body , or even an S2 with P67 lens adaptor.

good luck .

07-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
CDW
Veteran Member

I usually carry along my K-5 as a backup or for shooting frames that don't require the extra edge of quality that the 645D provides. The K-5 has equally good or better shadow detail and lower noise than the 645D. The similarity of the menu system makes it easier, for me at least, to switch back and forth along with the added benefit of using the same types of memory cards and batteries.
02-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #6

Lens Correction May be right!

I am shooting with an adapter and a 67 120 2.4 and it is writing much faster. Maybe it can't see the lens and so it is not correcting for it. I will turn of lens correction and test

---------- Post added 02-19-15 at 05:34 PM ----------

Great call on the 645D lens correction that speed it up to manageable
02-23-2015, 01:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter

with a 645D it's not a realistic goal. given that file size "quick" is not happening.
02-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #8

New Settings Quick Enough

Shot another wedding with the 645d and this time the only lens on the 645d was the 67 105 manual focus. Get ready, some ceremony and details are killer. The 'new' quick write settings made a little chimping possible.