Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Will unformated SD cards hurt the 645D?

The instruction manual keeps stressing to format the SD card before use. I never format cards in the other cams. Why does the 645D require formatted cards?

Thanks

07-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Doesn't it just mean before shooting, i.e. you can format in the camera? Surely it can format? Any card in any camera will need to be formatted before shooting, either in the camera on with a computer.
07-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's always a good idea to format your cards before shooting. From my understanding, this helps prevent "issues" which I imagine could result in losing images, or cause difficulty in viewing them in camera or on PC.

On the 645D make sure to format both cards, its in the menu system and you'll have to do each one at a time.
07-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It is *impossible* to use a card that is unformatted -- I think they probably all come formatted when you buy them, but it is a good idea to redo it in the camera to make sure it is formatted with the parameters the camera likes.

07-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK.

I never format a thing. I guess they come formated? But maybe I should start formatting if this may cause issues down the road.
07-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The answer is no, it won't hurt your camera. They say it in the manual in the same way that you shouldn't put your pet in a microwave (it doesn't hurt your microwave). You can't claim any lost images, without doing your work properly.
07-20-2012, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
OK.

I never format a thing. I guess they come formatted? But maybe I should start formatting if this may cause issues down the road.
Yeah, they come formatted, most likely with a FAT system with default parameters, and most likely the camera formats it to exactly the same specs (there are a few changeable parameters -- block size and so forth). It is all pretty standard. An SD card works physically differently than a hard drive, but logically it works the same, and the formatting is the process by which that can occur -- so the file system is set up just like on a hard drive except that SD cards use the FAT system which most computers don't use for their main drives anymore. But they all CAN use it (they all used to). The main reason you technically "need" to format is that there are multiple file systems out there (ways of organizing/different protocol standards for reading/writing to a hard drive) and the SD card could possibly be formatted with a system the camera does not support (because you can format them in other ways if you want to if you were using it with a particular type of computer only). They come formatted with FAT because that is pretty much universal, and so it is good choice for SD cards and other portable media (like thumb drives) that tend to be used on multiple machines and systems.

So while it is not necessary to go format-crazy like some who format in the camera with each new shooting session, it is probably a good idea to give a brand new card a format in the camera before first use, and also if you ever seem to have any trouble with it, i.e. at any sign of corruption or if anything weird happens to it. For instance, let's say one day you absent-mindedly pull it out of the camera while it is still writing to the card -- you've probably just corrupted it (even if it seems fine at first) -- you should copy what you can off of it immediately and format it before using it again. Or sometimes if you have it plugged into a computer or card reader for transfer and it doesn't get a clean exit or whatever. (Not a bad idea to lock it to read-only when importing to computer to prevent problems, but then you tend to forget that it is locked when you put it back in the camera which is itself a problem.) So if you have the slightly suspicion about the card, transfer any pics on it and format it.