Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1^^^^^^
the processor in the camera is the biggest limitation to speed in this case. those are just damn big files to deal with using a processor wthat effectively is no different than the one in my K7 but with files just under 3x the size

07-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
+1^^^^^^
the processor in the camera is the biggest limitation to speed in this case. those are just damn big files to deal with using a processor wthat effectively is no different than the one in my K7 but with files just under 3x the size
I assume, thus the sub $10k price tag. You've got to sacrifice something.

Honestly the only issue is shooting lifestyle; shooting fast. I'm sure landscape photographers do not experience an issue with the slow engine.

Thank you.
07-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marktucker Quote
I assume, thus the sub $10k price tag. You've got to sacrifice something.

Honestly the only issue is shooting lifestyle; shooting fast. I'm sure landscape photographers do not experience an issue with the slow engine.

Thank you.
It's also due for replacement soon. next year would be my bet

Next model is more likely to have dual processors etc to address this type of issue. Hoya were cheap when it came to R&D. I'm glad they got it out, but in essence it was pretty much just waiting for a sensor when they took over so they didn't spend a ton to do so. and when compared to the comparably priced MF it really does crush them.
07-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
Forum Member

I also had a card issue with two 64 GB Transcend cards. They both produced corrupted files on my 645D and I also got the same card error message. I sent them back on the next day and bought Sandisk instead. I think 64 GB cards are still very risky to use. If you check for the reviews on Amazon you will find many similiar problems with these cards.

By the way, I shoot in PEF and use Lightroom 3.6 too. Also with the latest firmware. Never had any problems with the files when using cards smaller than 64 GB.

07-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #20

Original Poster
derAngler,

I had same corruption problem today on Sandisk 16gig 95 mbs SD card. Same problem in both 16 and 64. Must be the 95 m/b/s issue in that type of card.
07-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
Forum Member

My fastest card is 45mb/s. I think also 30mb/s would be fast enough for the camera. 95mb/s will not increase the writting speed of the camera. Of course the data transfer to your mac is faster.
07-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #22

I shoot PEF and use Lightroom 4.1. I've never seen this issue. I do have a couple of 32GB Transcend cards that seem to work fine. No 64's. I always copy all my images to the computer with a card reader first. Then just add them to the Lightroom Catalog with the import menu.

07-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #23

Original Poster
4.1 is PC? or Mac? I thought 3.6 was latest for mac. Thanks. Are your cards 95 megs per second models?
07-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #24

Lightroom 4.1 is available for both Mac and PC. My cards are class 10. Supposedly rated at 20 megs/sec. I doubt you'll see anywhere near close to 95 no matter which card you use.
07-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #25

What card reader are you using to get the images onto the 13" MBP? I don't see that addressed anywhere in the thread so far. The corruption could be related to the 645D writing to the cards, or it could be caused by whatever is reading them on the MBP. Since you say you normally use your 27" iMac, and the cards also are new, possibly the problem could be on the camera end or on the Mac end. The newest / highest end flash cards often create compatibility problems on both ends until all vendors of all hardware & software in the imaging pipeline have had time to upgrade firmware, drivers, etc.

Either way, as noted by others, a simple work-around is to drop back one level of card and use something like the Sandisk Extreme Pro 45 mb/s SD cards. I've used them extensively on my 645D with no issues, in 16GB and 32GB capacities. I haven't tried any 64GB capacity cards yet... 64GB cards in particular may cause issues if some device is not compatible with the SDXC format that's needed for any SD card over 32GB in size. Though I believe the 645D should work fine with SDXC cards, with the latest camera firmware...