Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2012, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Comparing with a Smartphone - Good for a grin

Saw this little blurb today and had a little chuckle.

King of 40MP: Pentax 645D vs... Nokia 808 PureView tutorial

Last edited by kmwsbabe; 07-31-2012 at 12:38 PM.
07-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They incorrectly refer to the 645D's sensor as 55x44mm, it's actually 33x44mm.

Interesting that the real reason for the 40mp sensor is to allow for zooming, without the loss of quality due to digital zoom, and without the 'bulky' optics that wouldn't work too well on a cell phone.
07-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Ah, but when they do zoom the quality is no comparison. Yes, it's terrific (apparently) for a smartphone but the # of pixels is not the ultimate measure. Nice article, thanks for sharing it.
07-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Nokia is basically a 40mp M4/3 with a bargain basment Zeiss lens.(About as sharp as those cold war era f2.8 50mm lenses, sharp for most people, blunt as can be to anyone who's seen pro grade glass)

Though I still do think they should keep going down this road for camera phones, tired of seeing my cousin's facebook photos look downright awful.

07-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Though I still do think they should keep going down this road for camera phones, tired of seeing my cousin's facebook photos look downright awful.
A lot of that has to do with how much compression Facebook is doing. Facebook absolutely destroys a photo, I have no idea why anyone uses it for photos.
07-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
A lot of that has to do with how much compression Facebook is doing. Facebook absolutely destroys a photo, I have no idea why anyone uses it for photos.
It's a good way to get exposure as an amateur. Sites like Flickr may have way better image quality (I use it a lot) but regular people use Facebook and/or Instagram.
07-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It's a good way to get exposure as an amateur. Sites like Flickr may have way better image quality (I use it a lot) but regular people use Facebook and/or Instagram.
It's also a showcase for fauxtographers.

You Are Not a Photographer | Exposing fauxtographers since 2011
07-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think calling that lens a "cold war 50/2.8" is quite an insult to the good ones of that era. But wow, camera phones really is evolving quickly.
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I hope that I'm not in ther.

08-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I think calling that lens a "cold war 50/2.8" is quite an insult to the good ones of that era.
Ha!

I'm still trying to figure out why they would even pack so many pixels onto such a tiny sensor. For WOW factor, advertising to the uneducated masses?

As for FB, yes, it degrades image quality, but for those who do any type of family portraiture, it is one of the best/easiest/cheapest avenues for marketing. Every little preview posted reaches the client's FB friends and family. Many of those people tag themselves. One image has the potential to reach 1000+ people, with an estimated 1/4 of those being in the photographer's specific area. Not to mention the psychological aspects of "Keeping up with the Joneses", it's arguably a worthwhile marketing tool. But it really must be viewed as that. Simply a tool.
08-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
bargain basment Zeiss lens.
I read somewhere in the Zeiss materials that this assembly of sensor + lens has 10x higher manufacturing precision than traditional SLR lens
08-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember thinking that Pentax should have released the Q as an Android smartphone.
08-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Agreed, in such a context, the so widely contested Q mount is for sure an excellent medium-term bargain.
08-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmwsbabe Quote
Ha!

I'm still trying to figure out why they would even pack so many pixels onto such a tiny sensor. For WOW factor, advertising to the uneducated masses?

As for FB, yes, it degrades image quality, but for those who do any type of family portraiture, it is one of the best/easiest/cheapest avenues for marketing. Every little preview posted reaches the client's FB friends and family. Many of those people tag themselves. One image has the potential to reach 1000+ people, with an estimated 1/4 of those being in the photographer's specific area. Not to mention the psychological aspects of "Keeping up with the Joneses", it's arguably a worthwhile marketing tool. But it really must be viewed as that. Simply a tool.
The image quality on FB is much better now than it was a few years ago, with a much larger maximum size ( I usually do 1000 long pixels with a watermark), also the compression doesn't seem as bad. It can be a useful (and at least free) self-promo tool. I've sold a couple of decent size prints thanks to facebook to people that otherwise I would not have reached.
08-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
I read somewhere in the Zeiss materials that this assembly of sensor + lens has 10x higher manufacturing precision than traditional SLR lens
"Traditional SLR Lens" being what? A fast 50? I just highly doubt they're putting a lot of work into those lenses with the cost of the whole phone being less than that of a cheap SLR lens.

Still a step in the right direction, and it would be *amazing* to have a smartphone MILC with Q mount.(Albeit stupid, it would be hillarious to see someone mount their phone to a large format lens via adapter.
08-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Of course smaller parts require more exact tolerances, anything else would be weird. That doesn't mean that the lens is manufactured to any better standards than a decent DSLR lens.