Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #1

Focus ring jamming on 45-85 FA

I just got back from a couple of weeks in the bush (without my 645N) and my 45-85 FA seems to have developed a problem with the focus ring. It will turn smoothly but at times it will bind at a different point or between two different points. It seems to be a bit random as to where it binds. It is also making a bit of a grinding noise when I turn it. In autofocus mode it works about the same... Sometimes OK but then binds and the motor can't turn it.

I'm thinking maybe a problem with some grit getting in there? Or lack of lubrication?

If anyone has any suggestions or has popped off their focus ring before I would appreciate tips. Sending it out is an option but I would prefer to try to get it working if there is something that doesn't involve taking it all apart.

08-15-2012, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #2

I've not had this problem with my 45-85 FA, but have had it happen while in the field with a Canon wide angle zoom. I was able to slide a small piece of paper between the lens barrel and the ring and move it around enough to get a few pieces of sand out. It worked so well I never had it cleaned when I got home. I just tried that with my 45-85 FA and it's a bit tighter fit, but you still may be able to do it.
08-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
Just tried that and it seems to have made a difference. Thanks!