Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This sounds cheap
sure i think the original xpan sold for what $3000 for the 30mm and another $2500 for the body?

If it is an Xpan update then i would expect to see a Fuji version as well since they made the whole xpan system. it was only discontinued due to the EU changes in what could be in the lenses and it wasn't worth redeveloping as film cameras were in decline
If you look at the X Pan II you can see how this could easily be turned into an XPRO-1 on steroids

Hasselblad Xpan II

08-28-2012, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the rumour is pretty strong that is is a mirrorless digital version of the Xpan hassy

a great camera but never a huge seller (used ones still cost a bomb). it would be nice (and smart) if it took the same lenses though

XPan 30mm

But isn't that really pointless at a time when panoramas are easily done in software? Not to mention the fact that you then is not married to a fixed aspect ratio. Stiching a panorama from a panorama sensor seems quite pointless. This will be a very expensive niche tool and will fail miserably in the market place is my prediction...
08-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
But isn't that really pointless at a time when panoramas are easily done in software? Not to mention the fact that you then is not married to a fixed aspect ratio. Stiching a panorama from a panorama sensor seems quite pointless. This will be a very expensive niche tool and will fail miserably in the market place is my prediction...
I agree. I mean, I can see a few instances where making separate exposures to create a pano isn't ideal, but I doubt many people would be willing to drop that much money for such a specialty camera.
08-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I doubt anyone would make a digital pano camera. However, a single shot pano camera is much better than stitching in many cases--I have used many pano cameras and stitching is not the same. Stitching can have advantages, but there is more to panoramic photography than just long skinny landscapes.

08-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #20

Seitz has made a digital 617 camera for some time, but technically its Dalsa-sourced chip operates in a scan back mode. That is, it's not a single instantaneous capture of one frame. Seitz material states that even though the sensor can expose at up to 1/2000s "per pixel", it takes ~1 second to record a full 160MP image. So this does create some limitations, as with other digital scan backs. But it's still an impressive-looking camera, though pretty specialized. Anyone with a starting budget of ~33,000 euros can have one.

While still hardly a consumer model, I would think a somewhat more financially accessible camera like a digital Xpan would be of interest, if that's what Hassy has up the sleeve. At least I know it would interest me. I like working in panoramic aspect ratio, and I'm quite comfortable with all kinds of multi-frame techniques including stitching. But that doesn't mean I think using a software solution is the best way I should be spending my time... and as noted above, stitching has its limitations as well.
08-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
Seitz has made a digital 617 camera for some time, but technically its Dalsa-sourced chip operates in a scan back mode. That is, it's not a single instantaneous capture of one frame. Seitz material states that even though the sensor can expose at up to 1/2000s "per pixel", it takes ~1 second to record a full 160MP image. So this does create some limitations, as with other digital scan backs. But it's still an impressive-looking camera, though pretty specialized. Anyone with a starting budget of ~33,000 euros can have one.

While still hardly a consumer model, I would think a somewhat more financially accessible camera like a digital Xpan would be of interest, if that's what Hassy has up the sleeve. At least I know it would interest me. I like working in panoramic aspect ratio, and I'm quite comfortable with all kinds of multi-frame techniques including stitching. But that doesn't mean I think using a software solution is the best way I should be spending my time... and as noted above, stitching has its limitations as well.
looks cool to me as well. panos aren't just about landscapes. i've seen great people shot pamos that stitching could never do
09-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Maybe not so much of a game changer after all - more of a Sony CSC with a different body and a Hassleblad label:

Hasselblad develops mirrorless camera with Sony: DSLR 'mid-2013' (update 7.30pm) | Photography news - Camera news, photo news and photography events | Amateur Photographer
09-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
More like "game over."

Sad. Sooo out of touch.

09-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Sad. Sooo out of touch.
My thoughts exactly. And I think Hasselblad's CEO, Larry Hansen, comments I've seen so far exemplify how firm their finger is on the pulse of "serious" and "enthusiasts" photographers. Feeling a pulse with a gold plated watch wrist ban in the way probably doesn't give you an accurate reading.

Here are some of his comments recently. It reads as if they are talking about more mass market but they are off to a bad start if they are.

QuoteQuote:
"My goal is to make Hasselblad cameras accessible to serious photographers and enthusiasts."
QuoteQuote:
" Owning a Hasselblad, made in Sweden, will no longer be just a dream for many photographic enthusiasts."
QuoteQuote:
"As I said before, for Hasselblad this is 'the new dawn..." "The plan is to move very quickly. Our plan is to show cameras and launch cameras in every sector of the market."

Last edited by tuco; 09-21-2012 at 04:50 PM.
09-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looks to be one for the 'footballer's wives' set to go with their convertible Bentley continental and a garish Breitling...In the right hands it will still take good photos, but what a waste of the Hasselblad name. Looks like they are just licensing to the highest bidder.
09-22-2012, 03:57 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Maybe Pentax should make a Hasselblad? Think about it, the 645D could sell for twice as much if it had an H on it.