Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Could this be a game changer?

Apparently hasselblad is looking at releasing a mirror less 36 x 48mm CMOS censored camera:

Hasselblad to Unleash a Giant-Sensored Mirrorless Camera?

08-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm...Hasselblad uber-camera or new car....
I'm not saying I wouldn't take one if it just showed up in the mail one day...
08-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm just wondering about the mirrorless part. Medium format photographers tend to be purists who prefer old school techniques and technology. This might be appealing to studio shooters, though, especially if its cheaper than other Hasselblads but delivers similar quality. It does make one wonder what Pentax' reply to this will be. If any.
08-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honestly I don't think many medium format shooters will go for it, so it better be pretty darn cheap to attract users from FF and APS-C systems.

08-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #5

There are good reasons for getting rid of the mirror, and good ways to do so now, even if reducing the size of the camera to something pocketable is not part of the goal. MF camera companies ultimately will go to CMOS sensors, the continued lack of which is what blocked many of the other advances in the imaging pipeline that have been happening on 35mm. Once large, relatively economical CMOS sensors are in use, then Live View (which leads to EVF), image stabilization, mirrorless, etc. will follow along just like with the 35mm players. Even video... shocking!

I wouldn't necessarily have thought Hassy would be the first to do this, but somebody will. And the other MF players will follow... at least those who continue to survive. If Pentax put out a mirrorless 645 and had all the other solid qualities of the current 645D, I would go for it asap.
08-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'd love a 645D with live view. Really make the most of the sharpest lenses. I'm not so bothered on mirror less and EVF's but a CMOS sensor with Live view (is it true that CCD can't do live view because of heat) would be a winner for me
08-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

the rumour is pretty strong that is is a mirrorless digital version of the Xpan hassy

a great camera but never a huge seller (used ones still cost a bomb). it would be nice (and smart) if it took the same lenses though

XPan 30mm

08-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the rumour is pretty strong that is is a mirrorless digital version of the Xpan hassy

a great camera but never a huge seller (used ones still cost a bomb). it would be nice (and smart) if it took the same lenses though

XPan 30mm
Most recent Hasselblads were not huge sellers if you look at the overall picture .
08-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
Banned

Photos: Gallery
That would make a nice sensor for 645Dii
08-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

medium format in general was never a huge seller after the mid seventies or so. the X pan was a 35mm panorama camera so the wide sensor makes sense. this is effectively a double wide ff i think (not a medium format specifically) - it was a fuji partnership, so i wouldn't be suprised to see a fuji variant of this arise as well
QuoteQuote:
X-System

The dual-format X-System comprised the XPan and XPan II, and was Hasselblad's first camera to use 35mm film. Built with a rubber-covered titanium and aluminium body, they were designed as a coupled rangefinder camera with interchangeable, compact lenses.

The XPan cameras are re-branded versions of the Fuji TX-1 and TX-2. The XPan II has every feature of the original, but grants the user the ability to record thirty-minute exposures compared to the old limit of three minutes. Electronic exposure information in the viewfinder is another additional feature of the XPan II.

The XPan reverted to the focal plane shutter, offering 8–1/1000 s, and flash sync from B (max. 270 s) – 1/125 s.

The intent in releasing the XPan was to provide medium format image quality on 35 mm film. The XPan utilised the entire area of the 35 mm film for either panorama or 35mm format, providing a panorama effect without masking the film or reducing image quality. This technique produced a panorama negative almost three times larger than traditional masking and over five times larger than that of APS cameras.[17]

The XPan is now discontinued.
Not sure this is really all that needed in the easy digital pano world. but it does have potential to streamline shooting pano.
08-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Honestly I don't think many medium format shooters will go for it
Mamiya also releasing one that will work with all of the Phase backs - including the 80mp one (and somewhat into the future their 110mp back). The Mamiya one is geared more towards copy stand work and studio photo documentation, but not with live objects such as people or pets.

And along with the linked Hasselblad in this article; it will be interesting to see what else makes news out of Germany in about a month or so. Hasselblad also working on two other mirrorless cameras; one is a digital version of a 903 swc. Also not sure how the second one fits into the picture (so to state), but the second one will basically be an all manual body - with both digital and film backs offered.
08-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

and leica will be showing the M10 supposedly (live view and Cmos and likely video if rumours are right)
08-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
Banned

XPan 30mm
Why is the sensor then not in panoramic size?
08-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Why is the sensor then not in panoramic size?
no idea. but the x pan was a panorama camera. It would shoot either a standard 35mm frame (24x36) or a double wide frame (24x65)
this could be a close digital equivalent being able to shoot 24x48 for instance - or 18x48 effectively cropping to a double wide apsc frame, or being capable of shooting a bigger than FF 4:3 frame
since the old lenses had to cover the 65mm width in pano i imagine they have a big enough image circle to do this
Is there even a 65mm wide sensor they could have sourced made??
08-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #15
Banned

no idea. but the x pan was a panorama camera. It would shoot either a standard 35mm frame (24x36) or a double wide frame (24x65)
this could be a close digital equivalent being able to shoot 24x48 for instance - or 18x48 effectively cropping to a double wide apsc frame, or being capable of shooting a bigger than FF 4:3 frame
since the old lenses had to cover the 65mm width in pano i imagine they have a big enough image circle to do this
Is there even a 65mm wide sensor they could have sourced made??
This sounds cheap