Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2012, 04:45 AM   #1

Pentax 6x7 eyepiece question

Hi all,

I recently acquired a Pentax 6x7, and had a somewhat silly question. I'm finding that it's difficult for me to see the entire viewfinder image through the TTL finder, as I wear glasses (I'd rather not go down the diopter route). I'm also finding that the ridged metal eyepiece is likely to scratch up my glasses over time.

So my question: is there any harm in just unscrewing the eyepiece and leaving it off? It gets me a few mm closer to the prism, which helps, and the surface is smoother. As far as I can tell the metal eyepiece is just fitted with clear glass, so it shouldn't have any optical effect? I wasn't sure if it had any protective function...

08-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

That rear eyepiece is an optical flat, so it does not have any power. You should see an improvement in viewing with it gone. Keep the eyepiece on the finder when not shooting.
08-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

NO, I would not remove the eyepiece, but I would invest in an eyecup to protect your glasses. This would provide separation between glass and bezel (which is aluminium). Better still, (though I realise you don't like the option) is to get a dioptric correction lens meant for the Pentax 67II. This comes with a removable rubber surround to facilitate fitting into the groove of eyecups that are on eBay — though models (and quality!) vary widely. I can confirm that the 67II dioptric correction lens is an exact fit for the 67 or 6x7 (the glass is not removable as with the standard viewfinder eyepiece). On my 67, I have an eyecup fitted chiefly to exclude light (and thus throw off the meter) when focusing. Previously I used the eyecup with the standard 67 dioptric lens and had to use my glasses to focus properly. A +2.0D lens from JAPANEXPOSURES.COM means I can now do away with glasses for focusing. Removing the eyepiece bezel will only hasten the entry of dust, dirt and moisture — none of which will be good for the camera.
05-05-2015, 06:36 AM   #4

My 6x7 outfit was taken out of mothballs, so to speak, and I also began bumping eyeglass to eyepiece. My kit has a chimney viewfinder, too that I just tried on. It is wonderful. Once I learned to push down on it to lock it into place. It has a rubber eyecup and a large focus ring. My bifocals work great as do the top parts of the glasses. Critical focus is really really precise. Excellent. And I ordered a rubber eyecup for the light meter viewfinder. I hope that works a little better.