Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In Australia there is a hope that Adox, Ilford or Fuji may pick up what Kodak turfs out, but they've all got their own battles and market forces to attend to, with Fuji also periodically culling films from its lineup. An overriding concern though is that the analogue market is not growing, but shrinking. How is such a tiny market segment going to guarantee a reliable cash flow? I've noticed a thriving community of hipster photographers chewing through film but I think this is present-vogue/peer thing, mainly among arts students and those who do not feel compelled to photograph the world with an iPhone. From what I can see, it is quite difficult to pick up Kodak film in the professional dealers that I frequent. I cannot see how things will improve if Kodak does offload the film part of its business (save for motion picture film). Unless there is an extant, cashed-up buyer who can stare down analogue machinery liabilities as the behemoth of digital roars down, then it's no doubt curtains. I have a gut feeling though that Chapter 11 for Kodak is just not working. They are running around like rabbits caught in headlights with no real headway being made, just glossy economic-speak designed to constantly pep the analysts. To me, Kodak died with the end of Kodachrome.

08-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Dec 30, 2010, Dwayne's in Kansas quite Kodachrome processing. They were the last authorized Kodak processor for the film in the U.S.A., maybe North America. Needless to say, it took them to the end of January to get caught up with processing. I "over night" shipped some Kodachrome to them. Kodak no longer makes the processing chemicals (or film).
Was chatting to another photog-friend of mine here in France, and we touched upon Kodak. According to what he'd heard, there was a lab in France (Paris, near Chatelet) that did Kodachrome processing...Jannac/Jannag, or something was the name. I was told that said lab had built an enormous stock of Kodachrome chemicals [do such expire?], and were running a development batch or so per quarter (or something of the kind) - probably for an exorbitant fee.

This is all, I insist, hearsay.

I remember having used a lab of that name about a decade ago when I lived in Paris, for K and E6 processing, and they were a boutique/artsy lab, so it does sounds plausible.

But, it's hearsay.

I think I remember where they were located, I'll pop by and ask them next time I'm there.

As for the lab in Japan that I used for the remainder of my K25-stock, I've looked and can't find the address. Do not know if they still exist, have Kodachrome chemistry in stock or is doing something else.
08-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Tell me about it.
I see that you've almost exhausted your stock.....