Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
This is worrying and surprising. I thought film was one of the few things still making money for Kodak. and virtually all the pros still using film seem to recommend Portra over Fuji. They want to focus more on printers? Have you tried a Kodak printer? My mum has a multi-function and it's the biggest pile of cr*p I've ever come across, either as a scanner or a printer.

I don't have freezer space for a few year's worth of colour film
They may still be making money on film and that's the problem. The only stuff they can really sell is the divisions that have value. Kodak is a doomed company at this point. Film, while still having some value, will never be what it once was and in a decade or 2, I imagine digital technology will be everywhere and the market will be even smaller. There is already a big difference from what Kodak thinks their various patents and divisions are worth what prospective buyers are willing to pay. Can Kodak compete with Canon and Epson with high quality printers and scanners? I doubt it. I hope they do succeed is some capacity in the future but all of this is too little too late. Way too late!

There will always be a market for film just as there is a market for horse shoes too. Some small niche company will do very well with film.

08-26-2012, 02:54 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
There will always be a market for film just as there is a market for horse shoes too. Some small niche company will do very well with film.
But the question is - will they provide the quality and variety that we have now?
08-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wonder who will bring out the "digital film" first. Maybe Kodak, after selling their film department?
08-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
But the question is - will they provide the quality and variety that we have now?
Probably not. There's not too much R&D going on in film and I don't there is any going on with the camera makers.

08-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the last news on Kodak's site dated August 23rd they stated :

QuoteQuote:
Kodak noted that in addition to the commercial, packaging and functional printing and enterprise services businesses, it also continues to own and operate the Consumer Inkjet, Entertainment Imaging, Commercial Film and Specialty Chemicals businesses, given the company’s expertise, capabilities and strong customer relationships in these markets, as well as their combined cash-generating capability.
08-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
I found an independent lab in Japan that processed Kodachromes, and they did the last roll of mine in....Uhm......2010 or so. I used to drop off films with them when there on business, and pick up the month after. Did great work.

I can try to see if I still have the address.....Then you can check if they still do it?

Dec 30, 2010, Dwayne's in Kansas quite Kodachrome processing. They were the last authorized Kodak processor for the film in the U.S.A., maybe North America. Needless to say, it took them to the end of January to get caught up with processing. I "over night" shipped some Kodachrome to them. Kodak no longer makes the processing chemicals (or film).
08-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Just don't end up like I did with a freezer full of Kodachrome 25 and nowhere short of crossing an ocean able to process them.....

Tell me about it.

08-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Those pretty yellow boxes really should be placed on the top shelf for convenience
08-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #24

The original poster should change the title, as it's not accurate at all. Kodak wishes to sell off the consumer film business to fund other products. Since the film division is profitable, I have high hopes the buyer would be able to continue film production, if not what's the point of making the purchase?
08-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattco26 Quote
The original poster should change the title, as it's not accurate at all. Kodak wishes to sell off the consumer film business to fund other products. Since the film division is profitable, I have high hopes the buyer would be able to continue film production, if not what's the point of making the purchase?
For the same reason any Vulture Capitalist would purchase a company. You fund the purchase with debt and take a tax write off. Then you extract all of the assets and load the company with debt. You then take more tax write offs on that debt.
08-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are saying the demise of Kodak is not sad. While they are certainly responsible for their downfall, I do not see this sale as a bright spot for the company. Every time a photographic manufacturer falls, it is a sad day. Just like the loss of Konica, Contax, Minolta, Bronica, and Pannon Camera Company (the maker of the Widelux).

Kodak is going through bankruptcy. Generally speaking you do not sell off your profitable assets if you are planing to stay in business when you come out of chapter 11. Nor do you sell money making ventures to fund other "products."

Who would want to get in the consumer film making business? The market is small and will not see growth. You have the added liability of taking over chemical plant sites which you would then be liable for. I am glad you are optimistic, but this is not going to be an easy sale.
08-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
You are saying the demise of Kodak is not sad. While they are certainly responsible for their downfall, I do not see this sale as a bright spot for the company. Every time a photographic manufacturer falls, it is a sad day. Just like the loss of Konica, Contax, Minolta, Bronica, and Pannon Camera Company (the maker of the Widelux).

Kodak is going through bankruptcy. Generally speaking you do not sell off your profitable assets if you are planing to stay in business when you come out of chapter 11. Nor do you sell money making ventures to fund other "products."

Who would want to get in the consumer film making business? The market is small and will not see growth. You have the added liability of taking over chemical plant sites which you would then be liable for. I am glad you are optimistic, but this is not going to be an easy sale.
Kodak isn't "dropping film" as the title says. They want to sell it off for cash so they can continue making garbage electronics and apparently motion picture film.

I think the sadness has already come months ago or even earlier when most of us realized the future for Kodak as a whole wasn't very bright due to inept leadership and some strange obsession with jumping into a market they won't be able to compete in at the expense of shoring up a product in a market they are competitive in.

I hope the consumer film division will be purchased by people who are capable of running a business properly, unlike the present board of Kodak.
08-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Kodak isn't "dropping film" as the title says.
So how is selling your film production not dropping film production? Whether you decide not to make film by simply closing your business or selling your business, the fact remains the same, you no longer do that business.
08-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
So how is selling your film production not dropping film production? Whether you decide not to make film by simply closing your business or selling your business, the fact remains the same, you no longer do that business.
Dropping film implies that they close the doors and it's all over. Selling off the consumer film division means the products could continue to be made but under new ownership. You may still be able to buy Kodak Tmax 400 but the owners would be the Mcfharggloughlin Group or something, not Kodak Corporation.

As of right now, they are continuing to produce film, they haven't "dropped" film. That may change in the future, but for right now new Kodak film is still being made.

Last edited by Mattco26; 08-29-2012 at 05:37 PM.
08-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For years the production of Kodak darkroom chemistry has been outsourced.
AFAIK Kodak handles the distribution and marketing (or lack thereof).
Despite all the quality has remained high and availability good.

I hope some similar arrangement may be possible for Kodak films.

Chris