Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kodak dropping film--sad day

From the BBC:

BBC News - Kodak set to quit camera film and photo paper business

08-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter

The BBC article indicates that Kodak wishes to "sell off" it's film and paper divisions, which is a bit different from stopping production. There may be someone willing to pick up these resources and continue supplying the public under another name. I would bet this would include medical and scientific film imaging, like x-ray films and such. Upshot is that those little yellow boxes will be around for a while longer.
08-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
agreed, this just talks about the wish to sell, they wish to sell the patents for 2.6 billion as well, but apparently are considering pulling them from offer due to the lowball bids
08-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

This is worrying and surprising. I thought film was one of the few things still making money for Kodak. and virtually all the pros still using film seem to recommend Portra over Fuji. They want to focus more on printers? Have you tried a Kodak printer? My mum has a multi-function and it's the biggest pile of cr*p I've ever come across, either as a scanner or a printer.

I don't have freezer space for a few year's worth of colour film

08-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
This is worrying and surprising. I thought film was one of the few things still making money for Kodak. and virtually all the pros still using film seem to recommend Portra over Fuji. They want to focus more on printers? Have you tried a Kodak printer? My mum has a multi-function and it's the biggest pile of cr*p I've ever come across, either as a scanner or a printer.

I don't have freezer space for a few year's worth of colour film
Just don't end up like I did with a freezer full of Kodachrome 25 and nowhere short of crossing an ocean able to process them.....
08-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
crossing an ocean able to process them.....

??? what ocean can I cross to process Kodachrome???? I'll start buying up old stock if there is someplace i can get it done (if it is India for instance My sister goes every winter i could just send her with a box full to ship back processed
08-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
??? what ocean can I cross to process Kodachrome???? I'll start buying up old stock if there is someplace i can get it done (if it is India for instance My sister goes every winter i could just send her with a box full to ship back processed
I found an independent lab in Japan that processed Kodachromes, and they did the last roll of mine in....Uhm......2010 or so. I used to drop off films with them when there on business, and pick up the month after. Did great work.

I can try to see if I still have the address.....Then you can check if they still do it?
08-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There does seem to still be quite a bit of interest in film, so I hope a smaller more specialized company can keep the core products going.

08-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Hopefully another company will pick up the Kodak film production. As long as it’s not another current film producer like Fuji, Ilford or so on. If it were you’d never see another new Kodak product, just a few big sellers being produced under the Kodak name and that’s it.

Phil.
08-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Hopefully another company will pick up the Kodak film production. As long as itís not another current film producer like Fuji, Ilford or so on. If it were youíd never see another new Kodak product, just a few big sellers being produced under the Kodak name and thatís it.

Phil.
I don't imagine there's much new research going into film these days by anyone. If current products are maintained then I'll be happy enough.
08-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I don't imagine there's much new research going into film these days by anyone. If current products are maintained then I'll be happy enough.
Kodak redid all their Portra and TMAX400 in the last few years, came out with Ektar and apparently several new cine film stocks recently. I think that Ilford has put their effort into paper and the rest just trying to keep their market going. Do not expect much in the way of new films too often but at least for me films are better than they ever have been and I have access to a greater number of emulsions then I did prior to the Internet. Hope Kodak products keep being produced (and Ilford, Fuji, Forma, etc and hope that EFKE starts up next month after their summer break)
08-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Kodak redid all their Portra and TMAX400 in the last few years, came out with Ektar and apparently several new cine film stocks recently. I think that Ilford has put their effort into paper and the rest just trying to keep their market going. Do not expect much in the way of new films too often but at least for me films are better than they ever have been and I have access to a greater number of emulsions then I did prior to the Internet. Hope Kodak products keep being produced (and Ilford, Fuji, Forma, etc and hope that EFKE starts up next month after their summer break)
That's what I mean, I think Kodak have re-done their film products for the current market, and I think they've done it well. I don't see the overall market changing significantly in the next few years so unless there is some breakhrough that allows still-finer grain or greater DR, there's not much to do. I think film technology has virtually plateaued now, while digital keeps advancing.

On the up side, this should lead to greater profits as there's not so much spent on R&D.
08-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
agreed, this just talks about the wish to sell, they wish to sell the patents for 2.6 billion as well, but apparently are considering pulling them from offer due to the lowball bids
Because patents are so much more valuable after they expire.
08-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter

That's what I mean, I think Kodak have re-done their film products for the current market, and I think they've done it well. I don't see the overall market changing significantly in the next few years so unless there is some breakhrough that allows still-finer grain or greater DR, there's not much to do. I think film technology has virtually plateaued now, while digital keeps advancing.

On the up side, this should lead to greater profits as there's not so much spent on R&D.
Adox and Rollei are developing new improved b&w films.

Phil.
08-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Adox and Rollei are developing new improved b&w films.

Phil.
and rollei has been making some colour film too, but I'm not sure if it is just old stock they bought elsewhere