Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Officially Drops 645D Price

"In addition to the instant rebates, PENTAX has also reduced the price of the 645D medium format digital camera, as well as its Q compact ILC model. The 645D has been reduced from $9,995.95 to $8,795.95, which amounts to a savings of $1,200."

PENTAX - PENTAX Announces Instant Rebates and Price Reductions

08-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Wow - with the $10 I've already set aside over the past two years, that makes me that much closer to owning one of those beauties! I need to start turning in more soda bottles.
08-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Wow - with the $10 I've already set aside over the past two years, that makes me that much closer to owning one of those beauties!
Just think what it will do to the resale value.......
08-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ha, my stubborn resistance is paying off--I've got 'em moving in my direction. Now it's only a matter of time before it hits my $1,500 trigger price.

08-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
CDW
Veteran Member

It only stands to reason that with a possible replacement/upgrade in the works that Pentax would lower the price to make way for a new product at the same general $10K price point as the original. My 645D is working wonderfully and I am not contemplating replacement or upgrading any time soon, so the price reduction is of little consequence. The camera has more than paid for itself in the time I've owned it. For me, it's a tool, not a collectable.
08-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Just think what it will do to the resale value.......
Well you lost an extra 12 % on used value, but then again, the one waiting for ever never looses anything!
08-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

A 12% reduction, 13% sales tax, it would still cost me $10k.
08-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I wonder if there will be interesting news at Photokina?

08-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
I wonder if there will be interesting news at Photokina?
If by interesting you mean a 645D II...then yes, I would also find that quite interesting! And surprising, given the 645D came out in 2010...seems too soon for an upgrade to me.
08-31-2012, 03:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
If by interesting you mean a 645D II...then yes, I would also find that quite interesting! And surprising, given the 645D came out in 2010...seems too soon for an upgrade to me.
The problem is that sensor technology moves pretty fast, even in the rarified world of medium format sensors. I think the 645D will stick around for awhile at a low price, but there should be a new one with a new sensor as well.
08-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The good news is that for any fellow 645D owners who overbought in the lens department (ahem), the 645D price drop will stimulate the resale value of lenses , which has dropped quite a bit in the last six months, when compared to lens prices in 2011......
08-31-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
If by interesting you mean a 645D II...then yes, I would also find that quite interesting! And surprising, given the 645D came out in 2010...seems too soon for an upgrade to me
Two things I can think of that would drive a 645DII to be anounced:

They are developing a FF 35mm and want to provide more seperation between the two sensor sizes and they have developed an AF system with complete coverage of the FF 35mm which would drop into the 645DII nicer than the APS-C sized focus array.

They want to provide more seperation between medium format and the high resolution 35mm options (Nikon D800 and whatever/if Canon comes out with).

If they had a focus system designed for a FF 35mm it would likely be an easy fit into the 645DII saving them from having to develop that specifically for the 645DII (similar to the K5/645D part interchangability). There are so many rumors now about a FF 35mm from Pentax; but, it is so hard to tell if those are true or just people dreaming trying to get publicity and fame... And to be honest the D800 vs 645D is not an easy choice by specs. Each have advantages that the other doesn't. But the price difference makes it hard to justify medium format; therefore, a bit of seperation such as a larger sensor with the same pixel density would provide some seperation to justify the cost.
09-01-2012, 07:26 AM - 2 Likes   #13
CDW
Veteran Member

My thoughts as a 645D and K-5 owner, and as a former 5D2 owner, FWIW.

First, in spite of being a design that is several years old, the CCD sensor in the 645D holds up extremely well against current FF 35mm designs. If you go to DPReview and compare the RAW files of the 645D against the 5D3 and the 800/800e, you'll see that up to ISO 1600 the 645D more than holds it own in terms of luminance and chroma noise. If Pentax had done so, they could have likely provided an ISO 3200 option that would have still provided excellent results. Most of the other competitive, more expensive, MF systems from Phase/Mamiya, Hasselblad, Leica, deliver files that tend to fall apart at high ISOs. Pentax engineers and designers did a superb job with the 645D. And the 645D is superior to all of the named FF 35mm designs in terms of sheer resolution, although not by much.

As others have posted on other forums, the word that best describes the 645D image files is 'malleable'. They can be massaged, corrected, manipulated, however you wish to describe them, to a degree in programs such as Light Room, with a flexibility that is hard to match with a FF CMOS sensor. And they deliver a 'look' that smaller sensor designs are hard pressed to match, especially when the files are printed 30x40 inches or larger. Upgrading the current model to a mk2 version with a 60 meg or so sensor may be a good marketing move if Pentax can hold the price close to the 10K introduction cost of the current model but it won't do a lot for actual improvement in resolution. The current crop of new and legacy 645 system lenses are pretty much up to the task of the 40 meg sensor but are a bit long in the tooth for higher resolution sensors. A $5K asking price for a 645 25mm lens is silly. For that money one could buy an 800 and an ultrawide. Pentax would be best served by introducing some new, relatively affordable state of the art optics to go along with a 645D2.

The biggest improvement for a 645D2 would be in the area of processing power and buffer size. While it was introduced as a field camera, primarily for landscape shooters, a 2-3 fps capability would make it much more desirable for wedding and fashion photographers. The ergonomics as they now exist are just about perfect, perhaps more so than just about any camera available. I believe the 645D is likely to remain a very desirable item for MF shooters who can afford it.

Last edited by CDW; 09-01-2012 at 07:28 AM. Reason: typo
09-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I just bought my 645D in March, so regardless if an update came out soon, I wouldn't be buying one...at least not for a year or more.

But what I'd like to see in an upgrade: 1). larger sensor or improved sensor with more MP that has live view (focusing can be tough with some of the telephoto manual focus lenses), 2). faster processor that instead of taking at least 5-10 seconds before you can view the image, it takes more like 1-2 sec. 3). some new WR lenses, and I'm talking more than 1 new lens a year! I'm happy with my used 645 lenses, but I think a larger sensor with more pixels, or even the same size sensor with more pixels, would be more taxing on the older glass designed for film cameras.

I'd hope they keep the exact same button layout on the 645D, it's just so well thought out and balances well. Same weather sealing also!
09-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
CDW
Veteran Member

Ryan, as many others have mentioned in the past, you will get faster write and review times with your 645D if you turn off any unneeded processing, such as noise reduction, and write to one card in RAW only. By doing so you should be able to get write times down to 3-4 seconds.