Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #1

CLA for 645 film gear

I'm thinking at some point I want to get my 645N and lenses checked over and CLA'ed. It makes sense to me that you maintain your equipment. OTOH, there seems to be a decent risk that I would get everything back the same or worse than when I sent it out, and maybe I should just wait until something breaks before getting any work done.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience to share on this? Recommendations on where to send it?

08-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A Pentax repair guy told me once that the Pentax 645's didn't need CLA. It had very few (if any) points that needed inspection or lubricating. In fact, he said at was the Pentax camera that needed service the least. If it aint broke...
08-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adelorenzo Quote
Recommendations on where to send it?
It would help to know where you are. After a long search, I found a good address in the UK, one for lens and camera, another for the lenses alone. Pentax UK does not service the 645(n), and most Pentax repairers do not either; they will do 6x7 or 35mm but not the 645.
08-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
CDW
Site Supporter

I bought my 645n in 1998 as I recall. It's been literally around the world, more miles than I can count in a backpack, never glitched, still works like the day I bought it and never been back to Pentax for any service. I'll be very happy if my 645D gives me that kind of reliability.

08-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'm in Canada. I might just hold on to it then and see how it goes. Mine definitely gets the rough treatment out in the bush a lot but so far it's been a champ. As a bonus there is no LCD screen to scratch or break!

FYI I did send Eric a note (pentaxs.com) and he said he can work on the 645N. Apparently he can no longer get parts for the 645.
08-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your Pentax 645N is now 15+ years old. Having it serviced will ensure continued reliable operation.
As your camera is presently functioning it is unlikely any parts would be required for standard CLA.

Many PF members in Canada have had their Pentax film cameras serviced by Eric Hendrickson.
Several years ago Eric brought a Pentax 645 camera back from the dead for me.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-31-2012 at 02:47 PM.