Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Do I need to rewind my 127 film onto the purchased film spool?

I have a Yashica 44 LM that has a removable take-up spool. After I've shot all 12 exposures, the take-up spool is wound with exposed film. If I remove the take-up spool and give it to the developing shop, then I'm left with an empty spool that the film came with and my take-up spool is gone.

Is this just the way it is, or should I do something such as rewinding the film onto the original spool so I can keep my take-up spool?

09-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Once the take-up spool is full, remove it. The empty spool from the other side then goes into the take-up spool position, and you load another roll and so the process begins over again. It is the same procedure with 120 or 220 film.

Last edited by Silent Street; 09-03-2012 at 02:11 AM.
09-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Is it that the original spool was a antique special one? Otherwise, as Silent Street said.
09-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. I figured this was the case. But the spool currently in the camera appears to be cast iron and the new film spool is plastic, so I figured the iron part might be original. I doubt it is worth anything as a collectors item, but I wasn't sure that I should give it away.

09-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A long, long time ago spools were metal before plastic came to the fore. There's not much waste with plastic; it can be recycled repeatedly until it breaks down. Reckon I've seen a stainless steel spool just once in 50 years. Not worth worrying about.
09-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tell the lab you want the spool back. They will oblige.

Steve
07-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #7

Thank you!

I inherited my dad's LM Yashica 44 and thought I was missing the take up spool, until I came across this forum. Thank you for this great information. Now that I have all the parts and even a roll of film dated back to when I don't know, I am going to try out this camera after reading the manual and hope to get some wonderful pictures.

07-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hedgehog Quote
I inherited my dad's LM Yashica 44 and thought I was missing the take up spool, until I came across this forum. Thank you for this great information. Now that I have all the parts and even a roll of film dated back to when I don't know, I am going to try out this camera after reading the manual and hope to get some wonderful pictures.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Your LM Yashica 44 is a fun camera, though it may require maintenance if it has not been used in awhile. If you have problems finding film or processing, the users on this site are very knowledgeable. Welcome to the club.

Steve
09-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
But the spool currently in the camera appears to be cast iron and the new film spool is plastic,
Cast iron?? Are you sure? I'd keep it if it was, it sounds unique. Years ago the spools (Ilford anyway) were pressed steel - I remember my father changing films in his Rollieflex. I think I still have some around, in film rolls he never used.