Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lens Collar for 645 300mm f/4 A lens

Is there a lens collar for the Pentax-A 645 300mm f/4 lens?

I'd be using it with my 645D. I've seen the manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support on B&H, but I've got RRS QR plates on my 645D and don't want to be changing anything out like that while in the field.

Also, I'd probably be using it with my RRS nodal slide to make panoramas (thinking the Moulton Barn at sunrise in Grand Teton).

I see that RRS has lens plates for the 645 300mm f/4, but didn't see any sort of collar that comes with that plate or with the 300mm on KEH. Am I missing something here?

09-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also, I'd like to add that I see in the PF 645 lens database that the FA version comes with a lens collar, but I'm more intersted in the A (manual focus) version, mostly because it costs less and I don't plan to use the lens a lot, just on occasion.
09-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There was no Pentax one made. Either Kirk or Really Right Stuff made an aftermarket one years ago but those are all long gone and never seen used. The Really right stuff long lens support is a very good option allowing you to place the tripod clamp almost anywhere you want. Depending on which camera bar from RRS you already have you can purchase the parts individually or as a package. Instead of attaching the bar to the lens foot as shown on the RRS website you can clamp it directly to the plate on the bottom of the camera (assuming you have the square multi-directional camera plate type).

Lens Support Pkg, single Quick-Release - CB-YS-Pkg - Kit Configuration Page

Really Right Stuff - Item Listing

BTW. If you have a dealer stocking lots of long Canon/Nikon/Sigma lenses in you area you could see if any of those are the right ID and would be a suitable fit.
09-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you sure you need a collar? It sounds like you don't have the lens and so how do you know you will have a problem? And even with the collar, how do you know the nodal slide will not be the problem. BTW, why do you need a model slide at all? I do panos with my 300mm f5.6 (no collar) and they stitch nicely.

09-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Are you sure you need a collar? It sounds like you don't have the lens and so how do you know you will have a problem? And even with the collar, how do you know the nodal slide will not be the problem. BTW, why do you need a model slide at all? I do panos with my 300mm f5.6 (no collar) and they stitch nicely.
You're right, I haven't tried it yet, so maybe I won't need the collar, I'm just looking at my options. Just thinking that the weight of the f/4 lens is going to put a lot of stress on the QR plate. I'm worried that I may lose some clarity if it isn't properly supported.

You have the f/5.6, which I don't think would be much of an issue using on my existing equipment because it's lighter, but that lens seems to be more rare. Want to sell yours?
09-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ryan, I am sure you know this is situation specific. On a nice sunny day at 1/250s, there is never a problem. At 1/4s in a gale, it might not be so ideal. But collar still might not be enough anyway. But since this lens will not be used often, you might just mount the camera on your nodal slide and then place a piece of rubber between the lens and rail. Personally, my bag is heavy enough and any way I can simplify my gear the better. Yes, my 300mm is lighter, but that can be a double edge sword--the f/4 has more mass and so requires more force to move, inertia counts for something.
09-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Ryan, I am sure you know this is situation specific. On a nice sunny day at 1/250s, there is never a problem. At 1/4s in a gale, it might not be so ideal. But collar still might not be enough anyway. But since this lens will not be used often, you might just mount the camera on your nodal slide and then place a piece of rubber between the lens and rail. Personally, my bag is heavy enough and any way I can simplify my gear the better. Yes, my 300mm is lighter, but that can be a double edge sword--the f/4 has more mass and so requires more force to move, inertia counts for something.
Yeah, I think you've got a good point. I should just give it a try and jam a rubber piece in between the nodal slide and lens...that should give better balance --good idea!

Now, just hoping KEH has another 15% off sale soon!
09-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #8

I have that 645 A* 300 f/4 lens and I would recommend a collar for tripod use.
I have only used it hand held on a K5 with an adapter so I haven't bothered to look for one..
It's a great lens but I'm moving to 6x7 so I'll be selling it (along with the 1.4 TC)...

09-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
No, there isn't. I asked the same thing to Pentax Norway (when it still existed), and they demonstrated very convincingly that the lens tube is not constructed to take the load. The metal will bend.

QuoteQuote:
I'd be using it with my 645D. I've seen the manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support on B&H, but I've got RRS QR plates on my 645D and don't want to be changing anything out like that while in the field.
Maybe you could solve the problem by replacing the tilt-head on the Manfrotto with this:
Manfrotto 234 Swivel/Tilt Monopod Head - Supports 5.5 lbs 234
It's the same thing as the 293 comes with, but sans the proprietary QR.
You will need an Arca-Swiss type of QR on top of that, with threads in the hole. Not sure if RRS has one, but IIRC there's one from Wimberley, and maybe one from Benro.

HTH,
Jostein
09-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
I may have just the thing for you! Maybe, who knows. . . .

Orion Telescopes: Search Results on 'tube rings'

Telescope tube rings! they come in a variety of different sizes, you can shim them with a cut up bicycle inner tube if you need to take up some space between the lens and the rings and all they need is a place on your lens that does not move or rotate. They go on and off easy enough and one of the holes is threaded with a 1/4 inch standard threads which fits most QR plates perfectly!
09-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
Forum Member

How about something like this?

Attached the the nodal bar Pro Telescope Long Lens Support w/ Quick Release Rods Clamp for DSLR Support Rig | eBay
09-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I had this lens, together with the Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release. The combination works very well. And yes, you do need it.