Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645D being discontinued - for new model?

I was just reading a posting from some one working for the old Kodak FAB - TrueSense Imaging, that Pentax is discontinuing the current 645D model. This coupled with the price reduction, I believe indicates that a new version of the 645D is on its way - Photokina?

QuoteQuote:
The sensors in MastCam, MARDI, and MAHLI were made by the company I work for -- TrueSense Imaging. They are not only much like the sensors in modern digital consumer cameras, they're probably better. The only consumer cameras using our sensors are high end cameras like Leica, Hassleblad, and one Pentax model that's being discontinued soon. Of course the sensors on Curiosity are a bit out dated, but they're still great sensors. And yes, the images from these sensors are true color- not monochrome that has been false colored taken with color filters, as in the past.

Last edited by interested_observer; 09-03-2012 at 07:39 PM.
09-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just wish they had released a 67d...but I guess they just needed the sensors to catch up?
09-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #3

I sure hope a new model is coming right away, and this was not just done because they ran out of Platinum Equity (former Kodak) sensors.

Though I'll need to win the lottery or something to ever be able to afford the 645D, I confess to being very interested in where the product line will go from here.
09-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
I sure hope a new model is coming right away, and this was not just done because they ran out of Platinum Equity (former Kodak) sensors.
Leica, also using Kodak Sensors seems to have a similar problem. If rumours are true, there will be at least 3 models presented @ PK2012 :
_ a Leica M10 (improved, EVF, live-view...) non Kodak sensor
_ a Leica ME : a M9 without Kodak sensor.
_ and a Leica S3 (guess ... )

09-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

This week saw some surprising announcements—apart from a compact FF Sony, which is alluring—the renaissance of the Rollei Hy6 Medium Format camera, with digital and film backs, and the perhaps most surprising of all, a new Rolleiflex TLR model 2.8 FX-N. With the gloss:
QuoteQuote:
For our younger viewers, this is a film camera. Film is like a write-once memory card that needs special processing with chemicals and dark rooms before you can "see" the pictures taken.
Bet it will be pricey, but I love these TLRs.
Pentax, without news about either FF or solid news of a 645DII, is falling behind too far, so I hope that they have some news—even if only about products still to be finalized. Draining belief is even visible in the prices for 645 glass on the used market.
Anyway, here the link: New Rolleiflex Hy6 Mod2 and twin-lens FX-N MF TLR (film) and Electronic Shutter - 1001 Noisy Cameras
09-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Pentax, without news about either FF or solid news of a 645DII, is falling behind too far, so I hope that they have some news
Falling behind what? How do you determine too far and too far from what?
09-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

"Falling behind what?" No need to sit on the fence. Everyone knows the market moves fast and might leave manufacturers by the wayside. We all hope Pentax will not suffer that fate, but many of us are not entirely confident and as a result some are not immediately willing to invest. I have seen 645 lens prices drop considerably since the launch of the D800, that is not imaginary. I do hope it is temporary, I like my Pentax glass and cameras, but the lack of information and plans do not inspire confidence.

Although, reading all the info 'round here, I understand that 12 months is not enough time to come up with a new line of products, and maybe we do have to wait simply to the spring of 2013 for announcements, and the fall perhaps for Ricoh-age product developments. Still, it is time Pentax does not move as fast as many of their rivals do. I find exciting new products and lenses all over the place, but not with Pentax.

09-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Question: can the new 645DFA lenses without an aperture ring be controlled in their aperture via shutter-priority on 645N/NII bodies? Just out of curiosity, as I'm not in the market for one, but still would like to know.
09-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

According to the lens database on this site: "On a 645 film camera the lens can be used in manual focus mode only, and only in P and Tv exposure modes due to the lack of an aperture ring." So it would appear the answer is yes :-)
09-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I confirm
Aperture can be modified with the up and down arrows.

But re. the title of this thread, may i deny any disruption of 645D yet, as officially announced at the Kina : 645D is not going to be replaced soon.