Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #1

I killed my 645N (sadface)

Last night I think I killed my 645N.

I was making a hasty lens change, accidentally tripped the shutter while the lens was coming off and it seems like the shutter and mirror both jammed. That is a problem unto itself, but after that happened the camera would not turn off. I smelled electrical smoke so I pulled the batteries out but now the whole thing is dead. Nothing happens when I put in batteries, no display on the LCD. Seems like something shorted.

I am acquiring another body, the question is if I should even send this one in for repair. I might just do it to see what the estimate for repair is, as I have to send in a lens anyways....

Sad day!

09-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, that's unfortunate.

I'm here trying to think on a valid reason for the camera to fry, though. Maybe when you pressed the shutter while sliding the lens, you caused a short between the wrong contacts on the lens and on the body? That could fry the board, specially if the 645N has some sort of power zoom contacts with higher voltage.
09-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ouch.... I think new camera like K5 turn off the camera when the lens release button is pressed. Guess that's the reason.

Hope the repair won't cost too much!
09-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Oh man I feel for you. Send it in and pretend you don't know what happened? lol! It's worth a shot. That's like an eight thousand dollar slip of the finger right there...

Let us know the outcome

09-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nmrecording Quote
Oh man I feel for you. Send it in and pretend you don't know what happened? lol! It's worth a shot. That's like an eight thousand dollar slip of the finger right there...
Let us know the outcome
I think it was 645N not 645D so it was a film camera I think worth several hundred $$$s but not the Digital version worth thousands.
09-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah, fortunately it's not worth a huge amount of money but I really love that camera. I have a replacement on the way but I'm also going to send this one in to get a repair estimate. I'd like to use it again.
09-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I feel your pain. My 645Nii is my most used camera and I love the images I get with it. Good luck with the repair. Send Eric Hendrickson and e-mail to get a sense for what it will cost. He is in the US but he will probably be able to give you a pretty good estimate before you even start.