Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #1

Who are the well known or successful Pentax using photographers ?

I know Nick Brandt stands out but who are some of the others who use medium format Pentax bodies, especially the 645D ? The other brands showcase some of their top photographers to inspire the purchasers of their cameras with what is possible. Why does Pentax not do as much of that ? An open user gallery (as they have) is great to have, but a more curated gallery of the people who stand out or have had some other success would be great in order to shed some of the "hobby brand" perception Pentax seems to be gaining.

09-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Two come to mind- Kerrick James, who frequents this forum on occasion and David Muench, the famous landscape shooter. Kerrick still uses Pentax but it was a number of years ago that Muench used the Pentax 67. I use a 6x7 professionally but not in the league you are talking about.
09-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Jason Florio

http://vimeo.com/album/2041400/video/38998561

6:20 gives a shout out to Pentax.

Shoots film era among other things.
09-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Benjamin Kanarek. Paris based. Shoots for Harpers Bazaar and other high end magazines.

Benjamin Kanarek | Official Website of Benjamin Kanarek Fashion Beauty and Commercial Photographer

09-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm amused by references to "shoots film era". Not that film has gone anywhere!
The most enduring photographers using the 67 format were not using digital for the successful work, but film. And they still do. There are quite a few in Japan and the UK, still more in Australia. I'm producing at least 5 printed/framed images each week from film. I will never, not ever, be using digital.
09-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Banned

I don't think it's worth seeing who is famous for using a certain brand because they'd be famous for using anything, frankly speaking.

One of the people that mentors me is a pretty famous Canon-sponsored shooter. He does some of the biggest of the big events in north america. He even told me that a K-5, no matter what, will never hold me back from going pro based on the work I've done with it so far. It might take 5-10 years, but who knows if I'll be using Pentax then, if there will be a Pentax, or if technology will be something radically different?

We can learn from anyone, no matter what brand they use.
09-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
David "If you want realism, take the bus" Lachapelle (Pentax 645)
Though I have to agree with the previous poster that brand is not crucial at all.
09-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I don't think it's worth seeing who is famous for using a certain brand because they'd be famous for using anything, frankly speaking.

+1

Agreed.

110%

09-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #9

Original Poster

One of the people that mentors me is a pretty famous Canon-sponsored shooter. He does some of the biggest of the big events in north america. He even told me that a K-5, no matter what, will never hold me back from going pro based on the work I've done with it so far. It might take 5-10 years, but who knows if I'll be using Pentax then, if there will be a Pentax, or if technology will be something radically different?

I agree, but my question is more about who Pentax sponsors that is more well known and why they don't. Obviously a good photographer will be a good photographer with any camera, just like someone who can draw will draw well with any brand of pencil. Yet fine artists, and photographers find something that they like about a particular brand for certain tasks (or all tasks). Steve McCurry for example shoots Nikon, or started with that and eventually got a lot of press from them and no doubt some nice gear to test. Hasselblad also tried to attach themselfes to his work but with less sucess. His work, among others helps Nikon propagate a certain image. All I'm saying is that Pentax should do some more of that as well.
09-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I agree with you, I think it is definitely interesting to look at what successful photographers chose to use Pentax.

Sebastiao Selgado switched from a Leica R system to a Pentax 645 system when he decided he wanted larger prints. I believe he used the 645 for quite a few years until he eventually switched to digital in 2008.

Awhile back someone posted a video of William Eggleston in which he is using a Pentax MX.
09-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
I agree, but my question is more about who Pentax sponsors that is more well known and why they don't. Obviously a good photographer will be a good photographer with any camera, just like someone who can draw will draw well with any brand of pencil. Yet fine artists, and photographers find something that they like about a particular brand for certain tasks (or all tasks). Steve McCurry for example shoots Nikon, or started with that and eventually got a lot of press from them and no doubt some nice gear to test. Hasselblad also tried to attach themselfes to his work but with less sucess. His work, among others helps Nikon propagate a certain image. All I'm saying is that Pentax should do some more of that as well.
I know some extremely good photographers and I know of very few who get sponsored to do pretty much anything, especially by a camera company.

Would be nice if they were treated like Olympians or something doing Subway sandwich ads, but they aren't. If this even exists (which I am probably sure it does) I have never seen it or heard of it (a camera company sponsoring a shooter like they are some kind of athlete)...
09-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pros using Pentax

Thanks for the mention, desertscape, and yes I do use the 645D and K5 for commercial and editorial work, and have been testing the K-30 for adventure projects recently. Pentax has always offered me the advantages of lighter, rugged bodies, some world-class glass and I simply like the way they feel and
perform for me. I've been with Getty and Corbis for years and they always take my files without question, and the IQ keeps improving generation to generation.
I'm hopeful that Ricoh will help grow the Pentax camera business and am waiting the new optics, as well as the K5IIs, but really I just love to shoot and share what I see with my markets. I've used Pentax gear since the ES and it's been quite a ride!

Now go make some great images, and share them with all of us..

Kerrick James
09-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by larkis;2111722[B:
]I agree, but my question is more about who Pentax sponsors that is more well known and why they don't.[/B] Obviously a good photographer will be a good photographer with any camera, just like someone who can draw will draw well with any brand of pencil. Yet fine artists, and photographers find something that they like about a particular brand for certain tasks (or all tasks). Steve McCurry for example shoots Nikon, or started with that and eventually got a lot of press from them and no doubt some nice gear to test. Hasselblad also tried to attach themselfes to his work but with less sucess. His work, among others helps Nikon propagate a certain image. All I'm saying is that Pentax should do some more of that as well.
That's a different question than the one posed altogether.
09-24-2012, 03:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

While it's true the camera is just a tool it doesn't hurt the brand to be known as a preferred camera of some great photographers. Personally I think a truly good photographer should be able to take a stellar picture with P&S pocket cam but nonetheless seeing a Pentax in the hand of someone who really knows how to use it really makes me smile.
09-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

When Pentax released the 645D, it used professional photographers for that. You can see the work here:

PENTAX 645D