Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

Macro with 645 and Nikon lens.

I did this shot of one of my Russian watches to finish a roll. I used the Nikon 75-150 Series E lens with a homemade 645-Nikon adapter made out of a 645 body cap and Nikon rear lens cap. Last time I tried it, there was some vignetting. So this time I used a 12mm ext tube and it took care of just about all of the vignetting. The film is Ilford HP5 sent to DR5 for transperancy process. I copied it with my DSLR.

09-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #2

Original Poster
I like the cropped photo better.

09-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Forum Member

I'd like to see a picture of said homemade adapter.
09-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Funny, the exif says photo was taken with Nikon D300.
Good shot, though, good use of bw.

09-28-2012, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Funny, the exif says photo was taken with Nikon D300.
Good shot, though, good use of bw.

In the original post I stated that I copied the actual film with my DSLR-I don't have a film scanner.

Here are pics of the adapter.

And with the lens.

09-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Forum Member

I think you've just inspired me to try and do this with other mounts. What did you use to cement the two pieces together? I've had little luck gluing plastic. It's very brittle and am afraid the lens would drop should the glue give.
09-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by callmeraymon Quote
What did you use to cement the two pieces together? I've had little luck gluing plastic. It's very brittle and am afraid the lens would drop should the glue give.

JB Weld. Just in case the glue didn't hold, I drilled 2 holes and put little screws and nuts to hold everything together. In the photo you can see one of the screw heads.
09-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting. I'm new to 645 shooting and have only a couple of lenses, what other makes/series of lenses would be suitable for this sort of application? I assume that Nikon E series was designed for 35mm SLR application? Could you do this with an M42 Takumar?

09-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Interesting. I'm new to 645 shooting and have only a couple of lenses, what other makes/series of lenses would be suitable for this sort of application? I assume that Nikon E series was designed for 35mm SLR application? Could you do this with an M42 Takumar?
First off, the lens must be able to have the aperture controlled even when it's not mounted on the camera-there will be no linkage from camera to aperture. I know Pentax K and Nikons do that. Not sure about Canons and others. Some M42 screwmount lenses have the auto/manual aperture selector. They will work in manual. The screwmounts that do not have the auto/manual will be at wide open aperture only. And that reminds me-the lens must have an aperture ring to control the aperture, so that rules out Canon EOS and Nikon G, and any other lenses without the ring.

Yes the Nikon I used was designed for 35mm format, which is smaller than 645. But the farther you move the lens away from the film, the larger of an image it produces. This setup puts the lens much farther away from the 645 film than it would be on a NIkon. But the image still wasn't quite large enough, so I put a 12mm extension tube between the camera and lens.

So to answer your question-35mm format lenses that have allow the aperture to be controlled by the aperture ring should be able to be adapted to the 645. You may need extension tubes to get a large enough image. And keep in mind, this is for macro only. A 35mm lens used on the 645 this way will not even come close to infinity. I did it because my 645 lenses do not focus close and cannot be used for macro work.