Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
645D mirror or shutter problem

I had a commercial assignment today and mostly did some vertical photography. My camera started to have an odd noise. The picture was black and the error took 2-5 seconds. Some kind of shutter or mirror error?!? At the best I had about 6 in a row and they came really often.

In the end I switched to horizontal and everything was fine. This is my second NEW body. If I take it for repair or check up I will be without my tool for 1-2 moths at least. They can't do anything in Finland so the camera will be shipped to France or Japan. My warranty ends in 6 months (24months) and now I start to feel the stress that it won't hold.

Any ideas 645d fellows...

09-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My camera has worked flawlessly for a year and a half. I would send your camera back. I would call Pentax and see what they can do for either fast turn around or a loaner.
09-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I must call Pentax Finland on Monday. Last time I had a problem with my body and it had to be replaced I was twice given a used body in much worse condition than my own was. One even had all the marks on the body covered with a permanent marker. In the end I had to hire a lawyer to help me out so I could get a new camera from warranty that was in similar condition that my camera was when taken to repair or then a new one if it was not possible to repair my old one. They gave me a new one. This all was so frustrating so I am not very keen to do this again.

If we forget the SMALL setbacks my cameras has worked great.

Last edited by jani80; 09-29-2012 at 11:40 PM.
09-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #4

Definitely sounds like a shutter failure, although I find it a bit unusual that the shutter would stick only in the vertical orientation. If it is the shutter, the camera almost certainly will have to go to Japan for repairs. I know this because I just got my (Canadian market) 645D back today after a 2-month trip to Japan to replace the shutter mechanism after it started randomly (but frequently) sticking. I had over 50K shutter actuations and the camera performed perfectly before this issue. Hopefully now it will be good for an even longer run.

I'm sorry to hear you have had previous problems... the 645D is a great camera but unfortunately I would have to say that the Pentax level of support is not up the level of the camera itself.

09-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
I'm sorry to hear you have had previous problems... the 645D is a great camera but unfortunately I would have to say that the Pentax level of support is not up the level of the camera itself.
I totally agree!