Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

645D Erratic Dial Behavior

Ok before i take my 645D into repair i'm wondering if anyone has experience any issues with the dials on the camera jumping around erratically when changing settings.

My rear dial has gone goofy and skips around when setting features such as ISO it will go from 100 >320>200>800>400 same with anything i try to change using the back dial. I've limped along assigning as much as i can to the front dial and bypassing the back dial except for the occasional ISO change etc... but i need to deal with this once and for all.

Would be great if there was a quick self fix, i won't hold my breath though. The camera is out of warranty, i'll be in Arizona in a few weeks and can drop it off in person at the authorized repair facility if it's not easily fixable.

Any thoughts, suggestions or solutions?

Thanks in advance,
Cris...

09-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #2

Flakey control dials have been a known issue, sounds like that's exactly what you've got. No self-fix that I've heard of, your best bet for repair is sending / taking it in. Hopefully this can be corrected locally, i.e. without shipping the body back to Japan...
09-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Royce,
I'll contact CRISCAM in Arizona this week to see if i can drop it off on our way through the area in a few weeks.

Cris...
10-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good luck with CRIS in arizona. They dont seem to know much about 645D. And you can only speak with a pleasant receptionist. CRIS has zero customer interface with technicians. I suspect they are really good at fixing point and shoot cameras. I felt my time with them was time wasted. I suggest contacting the PPS rep in colorado. Joe.Virgil.prac@pentax.com is the contact email. At the very least start a dialogue with him so if arizona gives the vague "unit has been recalibrated to factory specs" line, you have Joe in the loop in case they did not actually do anything at all to address your problem.

As 645D owners we are PPS enrolled. Whether or not we are in warranty , pentax has an interest in getting us reasonable support. Joe Virgil has always expedited my 645D fixes.