Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #16
Inactive Account

I'm getting the itch to try one of these.

02-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The Mamiya Six is an excellent medium format folder which I can actually fit into the front pocket of my pants.
Hey Mike, is that a Mamiya in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

Medium format is lots of fun and the results can be downright rewarding. A decent TLR (Yashica or Rolleiflex) is a good first medium format camera; not a huge investment if it doesn't work out as originally anticipated. The Pentax 67 is not your everyday Pentax SLR, even though it looks like one. They are very hefty; and the lenses aren't cheap either.
02-07-2008, 03:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

And let us not forget that the kewlness factor of a TLR is immeasurable.
02-07-2008, 05:53 AM   #19

Original Poster
How bulky are the TLRs? I don't know that I've ever seen one.

Also found out last night that Adorama and KEH have auctions on Ebay in the medium format camera section. I don't think I've seen them on Ebay before. I'm debating on a couple of cameras from Adorama right now.

02-07-2008, 06:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Yaschica's are not bulky, just a rectangular box with a lens.:-) The Mamiyas i think are a bit bigger and heavier.

I have my Dad;'s old Y-M the plain Jane one, no meter, just a box and lens.

Leaf shutter is great for quiet rooms, and for street photos, i just trap focus and walk around with it hanging from my neck. No one ever knows.

Dave
02-07-2008, 06:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

A Rolleiflex TLR was my first camera. I loved that thing, until one day I went to the beach and the salt and sand were just too much for it.

If you've never seen one, well...

(from Rolleiflex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
02-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

They're not as large as you might imagine. Here's a photo of one of mine mounted on a travel tripod and with a box brownie to provide perspective:

People are more likely to look down the street for the other half of the land surveying team than they are to figure out you're taking photographs. Get one in decent working condition and you will fall in love.
02-07-2008, 06:32 AM   #23

Original Poster
They really don't look that big. I thought they would be bigger.

I could see this turn into an addiction, MFBA.

02-07-2008, 06:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

TLRs are awesome, but a pain to load sometimes.
02-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #25

Original Poster
Well, I ended up buying a Mamiya M645 1000s BIN for $365. I figure that will be a good place to start. It's reasonably upgradeable, I think everything except the back.

Should be fun once I get it.
02-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:

People are more likely to look down the street for the other half of the land surveying team than they are to figure out you're taking photographs.
I surveyed for 34 years. Do you know how many times i was asked, what i was taking a picture of.

LOL

Dave
02-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #27

Original Poster
Lol, it really does look like a survey instrument. Good cover for street photos.

I almost ended up with a Pentax 6X7 but changed my mind at the last minute. The one I bought is ready to go but the 6X7 wasn't. I'm keeping my eye on them since I think they would be better for travel. It should fit in the bag a little better than a 645 due to the shape of the body.
02-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Congrats on the mamiya, your thread caused me to leap from lurker to member. Last week I got a mamiya 645e, very simple, and a good deal. I don't know how your tripod relates, but I have a pro55, more than sturdy enough. It came with an 80mm and a 120mm macro. Since this will mostly be for black and white landscape, I have the macro on ebay. I just won a 150mm, and am looking for a 55mm or 45mm. I was looking at pentax too, but couldn't pass up the deal. Thanks for jump starting my membership in the fourm.
Ryan
02-08-2008, 05:52 AM   #29

consider focal plane or leaf shutter

Hi,

Mamiya RZ67 and Hassalblad have leaf shutters in the lens. This means you have flash sync at all shutter speeds. Great for studio and pro work.

Pentax as fas as I know is an slr with focal plane shutter so flash sync speed is much lower.

The Mamiya RZ67 is a really great system and camera. It's only downside is its big and heavy. But there are 18 different lenses, you can change backs... it's a totally professional camera and highly recommended.

If cost is a factor, look at the Pentacon Six. This is an SLR in 6x6 format. Some really nice lenses are made for this by Carl Zeiss Jena (East German). They are exactly the same as the Hassalblad lenses, but lots cheaper (and not leaf shuttered). For example there is the Sonnar 180mm f2.8. Furthermore you can get a Pentacon > M42 adaptor and use the lenses on 35mm camera!

Finally, have a look at the Mamiya7 which is a rangefinder camera. Fairly compact for what it does and good for handholding photography.

Medium format is a fantastic medium and it is a good time to buy. Prints look great!!
02-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #30

Original Poster
Welcome to the forum ryno. Congrats on the 645e.

I was looking at the 645e as well but ended up with the 1000s instead. It came with the 80mm C lens and a metered prism. I wanted something a little more configureable. Strangely enough I'm looking at macro lenses now. That's the first thing I was going to look for. Let me know which is your auction so I can check it out.

I came close to buying an RB67 instead of this one but opted for the 645 due to weight. I like the idea of the 6X7 size negative to work from and the rotating back sounded very useful. If I go further with MF I'll probably move up to a 6X7 next. I was looking at the Pentax 67s at one point. The one thing that's not lacking in MF photography is choice but it makes it hard to decide which to go with. This one was cheap enough for a trial. If I decide to keep going I can sell this one and move on to something better.