Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #1

6x7 meter works but not with 105

Hi there.
the TTL prism meter on my 6x7 was working great. I was shooting a couple shots yesterday with the 105 and then I went to check the meter reading as the light changed and it would not meter. Meter works just fine with the 75mm, still cannot get it to work again with the 105mm.
I tried dismounting lens and removing prism and putting it back together with the lens in auto and in manual (and in the correct prism>lens order). I can verify the meter is definitely working with the 75 attached, but not the 105.

As I slowly mount the 105, i notice the needle jump, and as i continue to rotate lens to lock position, it immediately drops back down. i also verified that the lens IS coupling with the body/chain and the chain IS coupling with the prism.

I'm stumped!

Hopefully someone can help!!

11-04-2012, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

There is a small pin on the body's lens mount face that can cause problems when a lens is mounted with a poorly machined slot. This is rare and usually causes the meter to work only some of the time.

Also be aware that the TTL has a limited range of what it will meter, especially when using very fast or very slow film.

Last edited by desertscape; 11-04-2012 at 03:17 PM.
11-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
talking about the recess where the lens lock/release pin fits into?

i noticed that with a lens off and that pin on the body depressed, the meter will respond to manually moving the aperture coupling at the top of the mount.

so i compared both the 75 and the 105 and noticed that pin hole on the back of the lenses. there is also a little piece of metal recessed inside that slot - the one on the 105 looked more flush with the top of the slot, so i poked it back in with a tiny screwdriver. now the meter works with that lens.

strange. i guess i'll keep this little screwdriver in my camera bag in case it happens again.

thank you for your reply! you were spot on!
11-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Glad I could help. Usually it is the outer bay lenses that do this.

11-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodii Quote
105 looked more flush with the top of the slot, so i poked it back in with a tiny screwdriver.
If it is not aligned properly and although you had "poked" it back, if it moves out again is a sign that the screw that holds it is very loose or that armature is loose.

If it was just bent due to someone being sloppy reassembling it from fixing it, it should stay put from now on.