Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #1

Pentax 645 Battery Drain

Hi all

I have an old school 645 in fairly decent condition, bought off ebay a couple of years ago. Have had no problems with it, except the batteries have recently started to drain if left in whilst not in use, to the point that I pretty much need a new set every time I use it... have taken to taking batteries out to conserve power whilst not in use... is this a common problem, and if so, any ideas on a potential solution?

Thanks very much

11-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Maybe related, but not sure. In the 6X7 cameras are a series of switches that activate the shutter and turn on the magnet for the shutter. It could be that the "main shutter" circuit is not turning off and remains active even after the meter and displays are off. The 645 (first version) must have similar switches that I observed in the 6X7 and it could be that one of them is not disengaging.

Is the release button touchy when you press to shoot?
Any signs of being dropped or bumped hard?
11-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the P645 for some time and never ever experienced this, nor with the 645N. I do not think it is usual at all, rather something is wrong along the lines of the previous post
11-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestion Mystery Onion... it hasn't been dropped or bumped since I've had it as far as I know... when you say "touchy" re release button when you press to shoot, do you mean does it have a kind of hair trigger so that one touch on the release button shoots the camera? It seems ok to me... depress half way-ish to actually shoot a frame...

Any other thoughts?