Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Wireless 67 cable release?

I have a feeling wireless mechanical cable releases existed at some point in human history, are there still any available? All I've been able to find are various IR devices for newer cameras. I'm looking for a device that is controlled remotely that will press my shutter button for me on my 67.

Yes I can build a mechanical one, and yes I could hack the electronic 67 shutter, but I'd rather not do either of those. For once in my life I'd rather just buy one and have my time to blow through some film.

Thanks Everyone!

11-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
D W
Veteran Member

There used to be a generally available servo activated mechanical plunger to cable release socket. It was more prevalent in the motion picture industry. Haven't seen it in any retail store this millennium.
11-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tuco, that able man (also on this forum) build him self one and posted some images of it not long ago..
11-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yes, I did build one but Mike doesn't want to.

Best I can think of is something I saw not long ago and can't remember or find it now. It is a mechanical intervalometer for any camera accepting an old-school cable release. It was a box with a cable coming off it. IIRC it was battery powered. I think a quick and simple hack of adding a key-ring transmitter switch (can buy kit with relay receiver inexpensively) to it would do the job.

I can't say how strong the push is. That was one problem I had for a generic solution for all my mechanical cameras. The Pentax 6x7 was border line with small solenoid and my Hasselblad 500C/M needed a lot of push, however, and I used a CO2 canister for it. But a small solenoid mounted over the shutter button worked for most my other cameras.

Maybe try searching along the lines of a mechanical intervalometer.

Last edited by tuco; 11-18-2012 at 02:47 PM.
11-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well, you could build one and sell it to him—right? Regards
11-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Tuco!

As is often the case, it's just a matter of having the right words to search for. I found plenty of "mechanical intervalometers" but I didn't find any "wireless mechanical cable releases".
11-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Quote
Thanks Tuco!

As is often the case, it's just a matter of having the right words to search for. I found plenty of "mechanical intervalometers" but I didn't find any "wireless mechanical cable releases".
Right, but you can buy a Momentary or On/Off Wireless Switch Remote Control System and rig it to operate the device, I suspect. They are not very expensive and have a key-ring transmitter to operate a relay that would turn it on/off is what I was thinking.