Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #16

Hi!

I went through an extensive process in regards to my first medium format digital camera system purchase.

I decided on the 645D purely on value. Specially on the lenses.

I really wanted the Leica due to the fact that every single lens they make for the S2 is amazing. Although, they are more designed to be used wide open hence the cost but they are good at any aperture from what I have seen. I don't think any other MF Digital System can make that claim.

So far, for my 645D, I have gotten the 35mm A (Manual Focus), the 45-85mm FA (AF), the 55 DFA (kit lens), the 75 FA (AF) and the 120mm A (Manual Focus).

I have used each lens and so far the 45-85 is the one that stands out and also the 120mm. The 55 DFA is a good solid lens and the 75 also. The 35mm is good but not great.

None of the lenses are good wide open really and are best at f11 on average.

I wanted the camera for use in a studio with profoto lights and also for landscape. In both situations I usually shoot at between f8~f16 so I am right in the sweet spot of the lenses.

Regarding ultimate Image quality (iso 100). It is awesome and better than any Canon DSLR ever made in regards to dynamic range, resolution and color depth (just). Is it better than the D800E? I tested the Nikon and do not think that is the case. It is pretty close. The Nikon D800E has the best all around digital sensor ever made for photography. Its good for extreme wide angles (impossible with medium format) all the way to 800mm. The shadow detail and cleanness and color accuracy in those shadows is unmatched (IMHO) by any camera made today. The 645D approaches that attribute. So it sits between the best Canon dslrs and the D800E in that regard.

What the 645D does offer is that medium format look due to the depth of field. Also the 645D is a great camera to work with. Yes, it lacks live view, but the camera is very well though out, has a great control layout, an excellent viewfinder and I just love the way it handles.

04-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #17
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken R Quote
Hi!

I went through an extensive process in regards to my first medium format digital camera system purchase.

I decided on the 645D purely on value. Specially on the lenses.

I really wanted the Leica due to the fact that every single lens they make for the S2 is amazing. Although, they are more designed to be used wide open hence the cost but they are good at any aperture from what I have seen. I don't think any other MF Digital System can make that claim.

So far, for my 645D, I have gotten the 35mm A (Manual Focus), the 45-85mm FA (AF), the 55 DFA (kit lens), the 75 FA (AF) and the 120mm A (Manual Focus).

I have used each lens and so far the 45-85 is the one that stands out and also the 120mm. The 55 DFA is a good solid lens and the 75 also. The 35mm is good but not great.

None of the lenses are good wide open really and are best at f11 on average.

I wanted the camera for use in a studio with profoto lights and also for landscape. In both situations I usually shoot at between f8~f16 so I am right in the sweet spot of the lenses.

Regarding ultimate Image quality (iso 100). It is awesome and better than any Canon DSLR ever made in regards to dynamic range, resolution and color depth (just). Is it better than the D800E? I tested the Nikon and do not think that is the case. It is pretty close. The Nikon D800E has the best all around digital sensor ever made for photography. Its good for extreme wide angles (impossible with medium format) all the way to 800mm. The shadow detail and cleanness and color accuracy in those shadows is unmatched (IMHO) by any camera made today. The 645D approaches that attribute. So it sits between the best Canon dslrs and the D800E in that regard.

What the 645D does offer is that medium format look due to the depth of field. Also the 645D is a great camera to work with. Yes, it lacks live view, but the camera is very well though out, has a great control layout, an excellent viewfinder and I just love the way it handles.
Ken R...a pretty accurate summary of the 645D. I would add that I've compared my 645D against the D800, although not the 800E, and I simply preferred the look of the 645D, and likely for the same reasons as Ken R. As for comparing against my former 5DII, it was no contest in terms of cleaness of blacks/shadow areas. The 645D simply won hands down. Regarding the lenses, I would agree with one exception. The 35mm can be simply outstanding. If you only consider it good, then you have a mediocre copy.
04-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #18

I believe I have a good copy of the 35mm A. It is VERY sharp in the center, thats the only reason I notice that it gets softer close to the edge Its not bad at all but its there. Edge to Edge the FA 45-85 @45 and the 120 A are sharp.
04-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on the new camera.
I have to agree with CDW about the 35mm A. Most users find the lens excellent, perhaps you should try some other copies. Itried both the A and FA versions of this lens and kept the A version.

Here is a full image and upscaled crop from the lower left corner taken with the A version.